Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Share | 

Out in the Sticks

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jdhilk

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 1

PostSubject: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 am

Ok. Finally had the opportunity to play with a few of you guys last night, and that was pretty cool. Feelin' stoked about that, but I was having some trouble. For starters, have I mentioned I'm out in the sticks? We live in the foothills of the Ozarks. It's some of the most beautiful, but rugged land, this country has to offer. I've got bobcats, bears, and mountain lions living in my backyard, but I digress. Anyway, we've got no high-speed cable, no cable, and no phone lines. We do have a cell tower a couple miles away, so that's what I have to use to play on. I do have a mobile hotspot, but my phone actually works a lot better, but I'm fairly certain that's were all the lag was coming from. My apologies. That would be why I don't play competitively. However, here's the kicker. I don't think I can use my mic, at least not in a party chat. It was working ok to start with, but as soon as I was invited to the party chat, I recieved a notice saying that because of the NAT, it wouldn't work. I'm on an AT&T network, and I've tried looking into changing the NAT type before, but have never had any success. Since AT&T is the only service provider in this area, I think I'm kinda stuck at the moment. I don't think my wife's gonna let me move us just so I can play online. That being said, I have a couple of questions. Does anyone know anything about changing the NAT type on AT&T's mobile network? And does anyone have any suggestions about getting better service, at a reasonable price? I've looked into satalite service, and the best I've found is that, while the connection is solid, there's a 4 sec. latency, that makes it impossible to play online. I could be wrong about that, but that's what my research has found. Any information anyone might have would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys. And like I said, that was a blast. Look forward to playin' with you guys again soon.
Back to top Go down
xXx MiGs xXx

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 38

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am

BlackDeath where art thou to helpeth this lost soul

Back to top Go down
YellowGeeHawd

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 34

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:21 pm

BD used a 8 gauge fishing line and some copper wire.

I don't want to be on same roster as Yellow. He stares at me and makes me feel uncomfortable.
-BlackHawxx88 
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 173

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 pm

JD - good playing with you yesterday.  I think some of it might have been my own set-up issues.  After you left and we got dropped from another game, I found out I was on Wifi and not the LAN, which causes problems in general for me.  I think that was the reason we kept getting dumped from lobbies.  It also seemed to keep people from joining party chat.  After I switched, it was better.  So just keep doin what you are doing and we'll figure it out.

You can also ask your wife about letting you get a videogame apartment in an area where you can get broadband.  But then, you might be living there permanently, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to do.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/walldogkl2010
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:05 pm

You jest, but I have considered that. But you are correct. That would end badly. On the bright side, I did take my boy to look at a college this week, and the entire campus is on wifi! Yes! Could be spending a lot of father/son time in the dorms. LOL
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:08 pm

BTW. I have duct taped my mobile hotspot to a stick and tied it to the TV antenna.
Back to top Go down
YellowGeeHawd

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 34

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 pm

The smart ass is strong in this one.

I don't want to be on same roster as Yellow. He stares at me and makes me feel uncomfortable.
-BlackHawxx88 
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Also, Walldoggy, did I here you are stationed down in Texas? Maybe that isn't you, but I've got a couple friends stationed down there. I think two of them are in Korea right now though.
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:43 pm

No, I'm not in Texas, nor in the military. I'm in sunny So Cal.

Back to top Go down
Spartan Runnerr

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 15

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:48 pm

YellowGeeHawd wrote:
BD used a 8 gauge fishing line and some copper wire.
I believe he has a Solo cup on each end of the string as well. That was a late addition but bumped him to 2bar

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 0

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:05 pm

xXx MiGs xXx wrote:
BlackDeath where art thou to helpeth this lost soul

Bwahahahahaha.

Black had them run his own special DSL line with new tech.

Dude got connections and shit.
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:22 pm

LOL. My bad Walldoggy. Luv South Cali though. Spent some time in LaJalla and Baja. Nice to visit, too expensive to live there though, kinda NYC. LOL
Back to top Go down
Kamea6

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 30

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 pm

it was good gaming with you JD, i blame walldog for you're early departure, we actually jumped on GW as we added bird, zero and makersmark after you left. i know how you feel, you're out in the sticks, i'm out on an island.

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 pm

LOL. An island. That sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
Nely

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 28

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Don't feel bad here is BD's house.  Aerial view

Here is the road to get to his house.

Proud owner of the Over 30's lowest accuracy %

Disclaimer: 95% of the things I post are jokes, sarcasm, or hyperbole. Thanks in advance for not taking things so literally

Back to top Go down
http://www.ebay.com/usr/napafish77
BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:39 am

Although those depictions are close you made a huge error - there are no paved roads where I live LOL

Thanks to migs for giving me a heads up on this thread.

First and foremost DO NOT BUY SATELLITE INTERNET.  I don't care who's selling it or what their claiming it will SUCK for ANY online gaming that relies heavily on low latency (like any FPS).  Your ping is the time it takes for data to travel from you to its destination and back to you.  A good ping from a cable provider would be in the 10 to 30ms range.  DSL typically 30 to 60ms.  Satellite is in the 400 to 1000ms range!  Also it is a total crap shoot whether you'll ever get NAT'd (open) with satellite.

I've played BO1 thru MW3 on a Sprint 3G data card.  I had to install my own antenna on a 20ft mast mounted on the chimney of my house but I got amazing signal strength.  Now with Sprint the service was all over the place - during non peak hours the speeds and latency were good however during peak times (like 5p to 9pm or later) it was fucking terrible.  I also suffered from outages all too often.

The biggest problem with using cellular is almost everyone has data caps.  I was grandfathered in with Sprint to actually have a true unlimited data plan.  Even today they'll advertise "unlimited*" but trust me there are data caps.

If you feel you can live within those data caps then with a very small investment you can greatly enhance your service with an outdoor antenna / amp.  Playing tethered from a phone will likely give you a moderate or strict NAT type there isn't much you can do - you're at the mercy of the device. The hotspot device or a data card would provide you much more flexibility to resolve NAT / firewall issues.

Let's start with your current provider - AT&T on your phone do you know if the service you do have is it 3G or LTE?  Again on your phone how many bars or service do you get inside / outside your home?  Do you know anyone with Verizon service that you could test the same thing at your house?

Once you answer these questions I can help you further.  Also if you are comfortable PM me your address or even an address near you (within 1/4 mile) and I can check who owns what towers / antennas near you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 am

Ok. Wow. I believe we are getting 4G service. I know for sure we are not on LTE. I get four bar inside the house, but have to strategically place the phone in certain spots. We did have Verizon when we still lived in Columbus, but after moving to the parsonage, Verizon let us out of our contract because their closest tower is 40 miles away. I do have AT&T's MiFi, but my iPhone blows that away. Also, Sprint does not have any towers around here either. I do know that if I have a 60' tower built in my yard, I would have a direct line of site with the closest AT&T tower. Also, we don't have any paved roads either. 10 ply tires baby. LOL. And I can PM my address, I've got no worries, and only a PS4 to steal. LOL. Thanks BD
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 pm

BlackDeath wrote:
there are no paved roads where I live LOL

It's because this is BD...

Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:04 pm

You're saying the MiFi has poor performance? Can you run a www.speedtest.net test (using the same device) once connected to the mifi and once connected to your phone?

Which MiFi do you have - the Liberate or an older model? I see AT&t finally sells a usb modem (called Beam). If you wanted more of a dedicated service for the house it would take a small investment. The beam is $20 but you'd need a specific router for cellular modems - like the Cradlepoint MBR1400 - which is about $225. However you'd have full reign on firewall and nat settings then.

Once I get your address I can see if you have any other options.

btw I wouldn't recommend Sprint if it was the last option on earth.
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35 pm

The MiFi we have is the Unite model. I looked at another one, but the sales rep swore up and down the Unite was the best thing on the market. I'm beginning to suspect otherwise. I'll have to run a speed test on it after I get home and will let you know. Thanks
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

Do you know if there is a config page for your MiFi like any off the shelf router?  You just type in the name or address of the device in a web browser and it'll greet you with a bunch of options to config?  The manual should mention it if it exists.  Or do they want you to config the thing with the touch screen?

I'm looking for the manual to see what options we may have.

edit: ok found the manual

http://www.att.com/support_static_files/manuals/ATT_Unite.pdf

it says you can get into the device thru a browser to config it

The Unite Manager homepage URL (http://attunite) is shown on the LCD (Settings >
About) and in the Quick Start Guide that came with your mobile hotspot.
You must be logged in as Administrator to change settings and view detailed
information (default Admin Login is attadmin).

Pay attention to what the LCD screen says in terms of your connection type.  Even with my Verizon datacard just suddenly out of the blue it started connecting 3G instead of LTE.  I noticed this when the speed started going to shit.  There should hopefully be a setting in there to force a 4G / LTE connection.  It should be listed somewhere under Network Mode.  Set it to something other than Auto and run a speedtest.

Worst case scenario try a firmware update this sometimes resolves issues with the connection being slow.

After reading thru the manual some more this device does NOT support uPnP which means it won't automatically open / forward ports that devices may need (like your xbox). It does however support a DMZ (de militarized zone) aka wide open / buck naked to the internet. Its rare you'd use a DMZ however IMO its safe to place your xbox console in there ONLY if you're unable to get an open NAT type any other way.

You can read how to do this in page 51 of the manual (like provided earlier in this post)
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:31 am

Ok. Sorry I've been off the radar for a couple of days. I've got family from out of state I'm hosting, on my weekend off of course. Anyway, here's what I found out:

iPhone:
Ping: 79ms
Download: 3.38Mbps
Upload: 0.70Mbps

Unite (set to Auto):
Ping: 62ms
Download: 3.41Mbps
Upload: 0.28Mbps

Unite (forced 4G):
Ping: 47ms
Download: 5.48Mbps
Upload: 0.40Mbps

*Just as a note, if I force it to LTE, it doesn't work at all. Says it can't find a signal.

So, I'll try leaving it forced to 4G for now and see how that goes. I did look at the DMZ stuff, and how to get around the NAT issues, and even after reading through the manual I'm still completely dumbfounded. On the DMZ settings, the Unite is already set to on, and there's an IP address already listed there, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. Getting rid of my strict NAT type would be great, but I can live with it even if I can't. Thanks for the help BD.
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 am

Oh. BTW, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I am on a PS4, not an Xbox.
Back to top Go down
jdhilk

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:50 am

There's my little house in the big woods.  lol!
Back to top Go down
evandadda

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 19

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:21 pm

J, the IP address that's set in the DMZ should be the static ip address that your ps4 is set to. If you're connecting to the Internet from your ps4 through wifi, you'll have to go to custom/advanced settings on your ps4 and take it out of dhcp, set your ps4 to a static ip, etc. unless there's a look up table on your mifi that lists all the connected devices and you can tell which is your ps4 and the IP address that your mifi assigned it, then set that in the DMZ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out in the Sticks   

Back to top Go down

Out in the Sticks
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 30 Clan :: PS3 Division :: PS4 General Discussion Area-
Jump to: