Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Question for 1911 owners

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Question for 1911 owners Empty
PostSubject: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:45 pm

i'm thinking about buying a 1911 at an upcoming gun show here, and wondering what I should be looking at as far as brands and prices. I'm an XD/Glock guy who shopped around a little at the last show, but most of the 1911s I saw had lousy sights and seemed overpriced.

Should I go entry level and pay for gunsmithing to get better sights/hammer? I don't think I can swing a Para or anything like that in the $1200 range, but I don't want a $500 Rock Island with nubbins for sights. And the range officers seem sold out EVERYWHERE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Have you looked at the Springfield Loaded? I'd recommend buying something semi-built from the factory then adding on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

not bad, thanks anderson. I'm also quite drawn to the Ruger SR1911. However, they seem to be less available than the Springfield Range Officer. I'll find out this weekend at the show, doubt I'll see it there but I might pick up some valuable information.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:33 pm

I have a Kimber custom stainless. I'm thinking of selling it for an FN five-seven. I never really liked all the safeties on the true 1911 style handguns. They are certainly proven and highly reliable, but the five seven is just so ridiculously accurate I fell in love. Truly 100 yard effective range while shooting iron sights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

fatbrowndog wrote:
I have a Kimber custom stainless. I'm thinking of selling it for an FN five-seven. I never really liked all the safeties on the true 1911 style handguns. They are certainly proven and highly reliable, but the five seven is just so ridiculously accurate I fell in love. Truly 100 yard effective range while shooting iron sights.

They are pretty awesome. Ammo can be hard to get at run-of-the-mill places. LOL at the politicians that are trying to ban them saying they're "cop killers." You can't even buy the military ammo that can actually penetrate the vests anyway for that caliber. fucking progressives.

It will take me awhile to get used to flipping a safety after using nothing but Glocks and XDs, but I'll adapt.

I've always wanted a 1911 tho, I just found a place that has the SR1911 for a decent price actually in stock. Gonna order when I get home and skip the show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 5:44 pm

1911's are very cool for the nostalgia factor. Sort of like owning a colt peacemaker single action.

My next whim purchase will be a Colt Python .357 6" full size. I have a fondness for wheel guns. The only one I own currently is a Taurus bodyguard .357 hammerless 2" that I carry into the hood when I have to serve someone papers or visit a property.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:31 pm

For deals, check out this link:

http://slickguns.com/1911-deals
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:37 pm

for being such a gun nut I am going to commit blaspemy here. I dislike the 1911. Never have liked it. Reliable, proven gun design that shoots great with a great caliber, but I never could fall in love with it. Yes, I know the godfather of gun design Mr. John Browning invented it, but I dislike the feel of them. I will never buy a kimber. period. I always thought they were overpriced and lately it seems their build quality had dropped off considerably. I am a big fan of a full size combat automatic with a double stacked magazine like my HK45 or my H&K Mk23. @FBD, sell the kimber while the market still holds a high price for them and get the five-seven. Ammo is ridiculous, but as you know, you won't be sorry when at the range and hitting 75m and 100m targets with a handgun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:58 pm

I feel the same way N8...I just never felt comfortable with a 1911 as my go-to sidearm. Powerful, reliable, etc, just not practical with all the external safeties, hammer, etc.

I will sell the Kimber for the FN 5-7. Just need to get off my butt and do it. I'm not truly a range rat, so the expensive ammo is not that much of a deal breaker for me. I have a 9mm G17 that I can use to pour lead downrange with cheaply.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 pm

i bought the Ruger SR1911. Was a bitch to find but after talking to one dealer I didn't feel like waiting until June, "maybe." No one has this gun apparently, but I checked with Gander Mountain and found that they had two left from a recent shipment. So instead of 6 months, I have to wait 3-5 business days. It's great not living in the Nanny-State Northeast anymore.

I love my G17 as a target piece, like FBD. And my XD subbie .40 is my go-to carry for when I have to wear lighter clothing. But I loved the 1911 the first time I held it. Being right handed the safety is in the perfect place for me, because my thumb is REAL long and tends to ride the slide release on my Glock anyway with the grip I use. Not going into slide-lock in IDPA sucks.

Not to mention the narrow slabsides will make it easier to go IWB than my porky Glock or XD ever did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I have never even held a 1911, always thought I wanted one, but always thought they were too pricey. I have had a sig .40 for the longest time and a .38 revolver and just never liked safetys. A couple weeks ago I picked up a little ruger lc9 for a tiny gun and am having to retrain myself on a gun with a safety.

Whats with waiting 3-5 days? Gotta love NC as long as you have your CCW card I can walk out of the gunshop with just about anything. Next with be an AK of some sort just for shits and giggles or a new 20ga slug gun, just waiting on the tax return.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:57 pm

NCFishboy wrote:
I have never even held a 1911, always thought I wanted one, but always thought they were too pricey. I have had a sig .40 for the longest time and a .38 revolver and just never liked safetys. A couple weeks ago I picked up a little ruger lc9 for a tiny gun and am having to retrain myself on a gun with a safety.

Whats with waiting 3-5 days? Gotta love NC as long as you have your CCW card I can walk out of the gunshop with just about anything. Next with be an AK of some sort just for shits and giggles or a new 20ga slug gun, just waiting on the tax return.

The AK civilian variants are very cool and inexpensive. I originally had a Century, which was ok, but I sold that for a Romanian Wasr 10-63. Much smoother action. I was going to pimp it out with the tactical grips, rails, etc, but I just have a fondness for the simplicity of the weapon. 8 parts to the gun. Total. It's perhaps the most innovative weapon of the last century, which is why it's still the #1 AR in the world.

I love the cheap ass wood stocks, the loosey goosey feel of it. It's just perfect the way it is. I sanded, stained and oiled the furniture and it looks great. I eventually want to trade that in for a true Russian, but for now, it's just fine.

I highly recommend picking one up to any gun nerd out there. $500ish is all you need.

During the space race in the early 60s, the Americans spent years and millions trying to develop a pen that could write in the zero G of space. The Russians used a pencil. That's the same theory they had in developing their main infantry AR. Cheap, easy, but effective as all hell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm

NCFishboy wrote:

It had to be shipped from Gander Mountain, takes 3-5 days to arrive at the store where I can pick it up (ordered it over the phone). Couldn't find one dealer in-state that had it, everyone said they had no idea when they'd have one or how many they'd get (and they ALL sounded irritated, like they've answered this question 1,840,204 times before. I'm in VA, so purchasing a gun for shipment here isn't an issue. I just get my NICS check done when I go to pick it up. No transfer fee either since I had it shipped to a Gander store Wink

I grew up in NJ, so getting a handgun involved a LOT of time, LOT of money, and a lot of hassle. Never got one there. You have to register just to be a gun owner before you can BUY a gun. Hollow points are jailtime, and hunting with rifles is illegal.

Other than Pennsylvania, Vermont and New Hampshire (and kinda Maine), the Northeast SUCKS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 pm

In PA, they run your background online and you're walking out the door in minutes with your new piece.

Still can't buy beer in grocery stores though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:57 pm

but you're allowed to pump your own gas, lol. Even though NJ gas is dirt cheap, you have to wait for an attendant to pump it for you. I HATE that when I go back. Waiting for a guy on the turnpike who's taking care of 9 cars while I can speedpass, pump, and leave in 5 minutes is assinine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:07 pm

I am looking for a classic "Red Dawn" AK, wood all the way. Just not sure why someone would want to put a grip, or rails and all that. Last week I saw a guy with a pimped out AK with rails grip and an eotec or something on top. He was having hell hitting anything at 50 yd and half his mags caused feeding problems.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:16 pm

thought this would fit in nicely with our .45 thread. If you don't like the 1911 now, you will after this.
https://youtu.be/HGxY_F9waAU
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Holly crap I think 20 friends on facebook have posted that guy shooting that laptop. Great, soo glad I don't have kids.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:54 pm

I want to do that to my PS3 when MW3 is in there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 pm

fucilli_jerry wrote:
I want to do that to my PS3 when MW3 is in there.

LMAO...yep...

I've only shot the Springfield. Nice gun. There are just others I want more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm

BigDaddyN8 wrote:
I will never buy a kimber. period.

From an engineering aspect, I'm in love with the 1911. The idea that this mechanism was developed over 100 years ago sings to my technical nature. I share your disdain for Kimber products, I've just never been captured by their appeal.

My daily carry is sub compact tupperware 9mm, but I dont feel undergunned or outammo'd when I carry my semi-custom 1911. I will typically use the 1911 during training classes due to the fact that both it and the carry gun have grip safeties. Once you establish muscle memory (and practice presentations), the thumb and grip safety are a non-issue.

No matter what you carry or shoot, practice practice practice.

My dad has a 5.7 that I got to put a box of ammo through. It's light and carrying nearly a box of ammo between the gun and a spare mag could be a life saving advantage one day. That said, its loud as hell, and spits one hell of a fireball. I'd have concerns shooting in low light as it would destroy your night vision.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for 1911 owners   Question for 1911 owners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for 1911 owners
Page 1 of 1