Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat

Go down 
+2
Sr Slampiece
BlackDeath
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Empty
PostSubject: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 5:06 pm

I'll add pics later.

Slam's setup
https://over30clan.forumotion.com/t5583-how-to-hook-up-both-xbox-and-ps3-to-hd-pvr-via-hdmi-capture-game-chat

Before you post about in here about what capture device is better blah blah blah. This cheaper Avermedia records at the same bitrate using the same codecs as the more expensive Hauppauge and Black Magic Shuttle. I like the Avermedia device because it did NOT require a PC. My PC is on the other side of the basement and I didn't want to move it nor string cables along the floor and across the house.

Ok thanks to all the technical assistance of Slam and Missiler I got my console pvr all finalized. I found numerous videos on youtube however felt they were all incomplete in some way or another...using hack methods to record audio and such and not providing all the answers I needed at once.

So I felt compelled to write this how to in order to help anyone else here who wants to start capturing their game play and/or general cluster fuckery that takes place in party chat Wink

This entire setup cost me $180 but I'll admit I got lucky and found the capture device half off as an open box item. To buy all components new it'll cost you about $250

What you'll need for XBOX:

4 channel audio mixer $32.99
AC adapter for mixer $10
2.5mm male to 2.5mm female splitter (stereo) $7.00
2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter (stereo) $3.00
3.5mm male to 1/4" mic jack $6.00
Stereo RCA cable $4
AVerMedia Game Capture HD $139.00
LaCie Porsche Design P'9221 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive $54.99

You may need a ground loop isolator depending on your setup. Both Slam and myself were getting a hum once we brought the mic levels up so they could be easier heard in the video playback.

PAC 1/8" Ground Loop Isolator

I ended up having issues with this isolator I'm not sure if its the isolator itself or the mixer or a combination of the two. After using this successfully for about two weeks suddenly all chat (party and lobby) would feedback thru my mic. This happened ONLY when using this isolator. I plan on changing some cables out to use a different ground loop isolator.

Important Notes:
The stereo RCAs listed above will connect from the mixer to the capture device - in my setup they are next to each other - so depending on your layout purchase the desired length that best suits you.

The Avermedia device listed above includes the console component cable (with universal ends supporting Wii, PS3, and Xbox). It also includes another set of component (video only) and a separate stereo RCA.

This capture device can use any 2.5" internal (laptop) hard drive OR any USB disk device (hard drive or even flash / thumb drives). The one I posted is a killer deal at the moment.

This mixer supports four MONO inputs and can run off a single 9v battery or a/c. However it does NOT include the a/c adapter.

Before you begin - if you were using HDMI before be sure to change your video settings on your XBOX to 1080i (1080p is NOT supported)

Also if you intend on recording your voice along with game chat (the whole point of this tutorial) you need to go into your XBOX voice preferences and change the setting to output to both headset AND TV.

The basics:
1) insert the splitter into your controller
2) splitter side 1 - goes your headset
3) splitter side 2 - goes your 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter
4) plug your 3.5 to 1/4" mic jack cable into the 3.5mm adapter on side 2 of the splitter
4.5) plug the ground loop isolator into the splitter (use as necessary)
5) 1/4" mic jack plugs into mixer (mic input 1 on front)
6) console component cable - video runs to INPUT of the capture device - the audio runs to mixer channel 2 (L) and channel 3 (R)
7) Stereo RCA cable - goes from the OUTPUT of the mixer to the INPUT of the capture device
Cool component cables (audio / video) goes from OUTPUT of capture device to INPUT of your TV

Install the battery in the mixer or plug it in if you bought the adapter - turn it on. Turn your TV on. Turn on your console. Turn on th e avermedia (assuming you attached / installed a hard drive). You'll see a on screen display (OSD) welcoming you. You can now use the remote that came with the capture device and check the hard disk is installed / connected correctly and passes a self check.

Now all you have to do is simply hit the record button to start / stop recording. It was extremely easy to setup and use.

The PS3 is a little trickier since you guys don't have a headset jack on the controller. I'll post a HOW TO later on.

Last edited by BlackDeath on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : stopped using the PAC ground loop isolator due to feedback issues)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Here is an alternative to the radio shack mixer. This unit is slightly more expensive - approx $50 but supurb quality. Behringer makes a lot of studio and musician quality equipment.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx

Just search amazon or ebay for the best deal. The concept is the same however the adapters may not depending on your setup. You just need to separately bring game chat / sound and your mic outputs into the mixer then blend it all together to go into your pvr.

Last edited by BlackDeath on Tue May 29, 2012 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 235

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:51 pm

To compliment your post BD, I made an impromptu setup video with my iPhone for capturing with a WIRED headset. I suck at commentary so I'll just go back to teabagging.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/SrSlampiece?feature=watch
mwhop78

mwhop78

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 57

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 am

When u gonna come at me with the PS3 setup? I am very curious. I think this is what I am pushing the wife for at Christmas time.
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 am

mwhop78 wrote:
When u gonna come at me with the PS3 setup? I am very curious. I think this is what I am pushing the wife for at Christmas time.

It's pretty much the exact setup. You just dont need the HDMI switch or optic switch. Just use the component cables and not HDMI and you're good to go.

Back to top Go down
mwhop78

mwhop78

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Slam.
Back to top Go down
mwhop78

mwhop78

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 10:29 am

Ok, this maybe a stupid question but here it goes. If you are using the Video Capture Device that BD recommends because it does not require a computer then what are you using to watch and edit said recordings?
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 10:51 am

I do use one. My PVR is hooked to a laptop via USB which sits beside me.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 am

Hop fyi they have a newer version out now that I'd recommend unless you're on a budget like I was. Also steer clear of the PAC isolator I started having issues with it and so did slam.

You can view recordings right off the device on your tv. You could check a vid out real quick while in game lobby it just overlays the picture. There are two settings...the default is OSD (on screen display) I noticed input / controller lag with this. The other option is RTM (real time mode) there are no menu's are confirmations of button presses like the other mode but I don't notice any picture or game quality issues.

To edit - I just plug the hard drive into my PC to manipulate the files further.

Last edited by BlackDeath on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am

Black are you able to live stream with the cheap capture card?
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 12:11 pm

You can livestream with any capture card, you just have to download X Split
Back to top Go down
mwhop78

mwhop78

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

BlackDeath wrote:
Hop fyi they have a newer version out now that I'd recommend unless you're on a budget like I was. Also steer clear of the PAC isolator I started having issues with it and so did slam.

You can view recordings right off the device on your tv. You could check a vid out real quick while in game lobby it just overlays the picture. There are two settings...the default is OSD (on screen display) I noticed input / controller lag with this. The other option is RTM (real time mode) there are no menu's are confirmations of button presses like the other mode but I don't notice any picture or game quality issues.

To edit - I just plug the hard drive into my PC to manipulate the files further.

Well, my mac is also attached to my tv so I guess it is a moot point anyways.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 1:48 pm

biz - the avermedia game capture hd wasn't really intended for live stream - I think you could do it but with a lot of hassle...you'd need a a/v switch with multiple outputs and twice the cables.

that was never a option i cared about since im stuck with such shitty internet...

i chose this device primarily because it was stand alone - it could record all by itself and I didn't have to move my PC closer (which is currently on the opposite corner of the basement) or buy expensive cables to make the run...which probably would have effected performance anyhow

the most important thing with the avermedia is to get a quality hard drive - anyone who bitched about it on newegg was a dumbass trying to record HD 15mbit video on a fucking flash stick

the only issues ive ever experienced with mine were with the OSD mode - like i said it would lag and id see video anomalies occasionally - like my tv would lose input signal - for 80 bucks tho (120 new atm) its worth the inconvenience - the real time mode works without a hitch
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

walldoggy

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 173

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 pm

This looks pretty cool. Looks like you can use it to record off of a DVR too, right? If so, that might swing the missus in my favor!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/walldogkl2010
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 pm

walldoggy wrote:
This looks pretty cool. Looks like you can use it to record off of a DVR too, right? If so, that might swing the missus in my favor!

If you do it right, you can even "back up" any blu-rays.
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

walldoggy

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Sr Slampiece wrote:
walldoggy wrote:

If you do it right, you can even "back up" any blu-rays.
lol I don't do movies too much anymore, but there are tons of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and other kids shows I'l like to move to my computer (and, thus, iphone and ipad) so the kids can watch them and I can get a few moments of relative silence when we're out of the house. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:19 am

Slam - they is the hauppauge able to record to an external hard drive or must it be connected to a computer?

Also how messy are you setups. is there always wires all over the place? When I do get all the equipment I plan on mounting everything into a case for a really clean setup and also for portability. Can you post pictures when you guys get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 am

The hauppage has to hook to a computer to record. The advantages of that are they have the ability to live stream. If you want less wires you could go with the Blackmagic Design Intensity - HDMI Capture Card which connects via HDMI and the cables are less bulky. As for me I have tons of wires but I game at a table with my pc, xbox, ps3, HD pvr, 2 monitors, sound mixer, HDMI switch, component to hdmi convertor, and everything in the same location. Tried to run the wires neatly but in the end it still became a jumbled mess lol.
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:40 am

My mixer sits on the bottom shelf of my tv stand. All the cords behind it are out of the way and unseen. The only cord coming out of the front of it plugs into the controller to capture game chat and my voice.
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am

I'd say on a tidy scale of 1-10 I'd give myself a -5.

See my PS3? No? That's because its buried on the bottom shelf because my wife still doesn't know I got drunk and bought it off Ebay one night. cheers

HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Photo_10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 am

Holy Rat fuck slam. That is a fucking rats nest of wires. That would drive me nuts till I cleaned that up some.
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Sr Slampiece

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 am

LMAO! Yeah, I hate that rack. It doesn't hide anything. Plus using a wired controller and wired headset dosent help either.

It use to be worse!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 am

Sr Slampiece wrote:

See my PS3? No? That's because its buried on the bottom shelf because my wife still doesn't know I got drunk and bought it off Ebay one night. cheers

AWWWWWW I am telling Mrs Slam. You are going to be in trouble mista. LOL
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

walldoggy

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Slam, zip ties are your friend.

For the wires, you pervert weirdo. lol
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm

I tried to do my shit neatly when I reset everything up. Still ended up looking like a pile of snakes behind everything. I don't know why in god they advertise anything as wireless, everything wireless has some kind of wires that have to be hooked up lmao.
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat   HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOW TO: complete guide to console recording - including chat
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next