Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

hunting noob needs help.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

hunting noob needs help. Empty
PostSubject: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:28 am

OK people i need some help here. I have never went hunting before but i spend most of my free time in the woods. i love to fish camp and just walk in the woods but i am thinking i would like to start hunting. I am not a fan of hunting with guns(dont know why but im just not) so i want to find a good compound bow. Ive been looking around for a good one but would like to know if anyone here can tell me what brands are good and what ones to stay away from. plus what lbs i should look for. Im 6'180lb with long arms but i dont know how to find out what the right draw would be for someone my size. I can spend about $350 but not much more. Im looking for something that will be powerful and can take a deer. Any help you people can give would great. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

PSE is about as cheap as they come but I have never had a problem with them. Your draw length is gonna be a personal choice and you will have to adjust that over time to find your sweet spot.

A 50# draw is plenty for deer plus you can use cheaper shafts.
Back to top Go down
The1UrLookin4

The1UrLookin4

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 218

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 am

You can go to a local archery shop and they will measure your draw length, and tell you the length that your arrows need to be. I currently pull around 55 # on my bow. I have a Matthews FX which is an older bow but still shoots great. I spend $300(used) for mine fully setup with everything and a case on EBAY for $300 about 6 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/netxhunter

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

The1UrLookin4 wrote:
You can go to a local archery shop and they will measure your draw length, and tell you the length that your arrows need to be. I currently pull around 55 # on my bow. I have a Matthews FX which is an older bow but still shoots great. I spend $300(used) for mine fully setup with everything and a case on EBAY for $300 about 6 years ago.

+1 on going to an archery shop - they should be very adept on getting noobs set-up; and practice, practice, practice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 am

SlyPeeler wrote:
PSE is about as cheap as they come but I have never had a problem with them. Your draw length is gonna be a personal choice and you will have to adjust that over time to find your sweet spot.

i looked in to PSE and i found one that seems to be the right fit. Its called the 'deer hunter' so odds are i'll be getting one soon. Thanks for the help guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Darrell I have been hunting for years but I am going to start archery hunting this year. The best thing to do is go to an archery shop. Most of them will give you a great deal. I got a bowtech assassin for 600 with arrows and a release. I absolutely love my bow. I have about a 3 inch group at 50 yards and my poundage is only 50-55 pounds.

If you decide to buy a bow through the internet to ebay I would take to a archery shop right away to get the bow tuned in and make sure everything is working. Plus they will set up the bow for your draw and set you up with the right arrows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 am

WHAT!!! They let you guys hunt with guns and bows in the states....in Canada we have to hunt with knives....last year I sat in a deer stand for three hours til a deer walked right under it at which point I jumped onto its back and slit its throat.....true story.

That was also the day that I saw sasquatch.
Back to top Go down
Barney_killer187

Barney_killer187

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 16

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 11:04 am

wait wait wait, you are 6'8??? first off the pse deer hunter wont fit your draw length bro.

go to a proshop and get measureed. unfortunately with your gorilla like arms you are gonna be very hard pressed to find a bow to fit you. the only one that i can remotely think that will be close to fitting you would be the PSE freak which goes out to 33" draw but its gonna be above your 350 max.

i am a shooter for pse and can help you a little with pricing, get with me once you get your draw figured out and i will see what kind of pricing i can get you to help you fit into something that will actually work for you.

the deer hunter wont come close so dont waste your money

Last edited by Barney_killer187 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : making sure of info on bow lol)
Back to top Go down
Barney_killer187

Barney_killer187

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 am

SlyPeeler wrote:

PSE had bows for all people, at many different price points, as does Hoyt, Misson, Mathews, everyone does. I shoot for PSE and am on their prostaff.

As you said earlier D711 on the deer hunter, my best advice is find your draw length, find the proper bow to get you there and save up for it, easier said than done i know, once you get your draw length figured let me know what it is, and I can help you find a good used bow that will fit or give you other options for one that will fit. its what I do :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 am

Barney_killer187 wrote:
SlyPeeler wrote:

PSE had bows for all people, at many different price points, as does Hoyt, Misson, Mathews, everyone does. I shoot for PSE and am on their prostaff.

As you said earlier D711 on the deer hunter, my best advice is find your draw length, find the proper bow to get you there and save up for it, easier said than done i know, once you get your draw length figured let me know what it is, and I can help you find a good used bow that will fit or give you other options for one that will fit. its what I do :-)

I wasn't trying to imply PSE is cheaply made, only inexpensive. I love mine. No frills, just kills.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Barney_killer187 wrote:
SlyPeeler wrote:

soon as i find out my draw length i will get back to you. im going to Bass pro shops soon so i'll get it done there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Bizotch wrote:
Darrell I have been hunting for years but I am going to start archery hunting this year. The best thing to do is go to an archery shop. Most of them will give you a great deal. I got a bowtech assassin for 600 with arrows and a release. I absolutely love my bow. I have about a 3 inch group at 50 yards and my poundage is only 50-55 pounds.

If you decide to buy a bow through the internet to ebay I would take to a archery shop right away to get the bow tuned in and make sure everything is working. Plus they will set up the bow for your draw and set you up with the right arrows.

a 3 inch group at 50 yards? Shit man im a noob to bows but that sounds pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
Barney_killer187

Barney_killer187

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 pm

SlyPeeler wrote:
Barney_killer187 wrote:
SlyPeeler wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply PSE is cheaply made, only inexpensive. I love mine. No frills, just kills.

i know buddy :-) PSE actually has a few bows that are way underpriced for their performance level in my opinion. most other makers its the other way around.

offer goes the same for you, i can help you all get into a good bow below retail...
Back to top Go down
Barney_killer187

Barney_killer187

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 pm

d711789 wrote:
Bizotch wrote:

a 3 inch group at 50 yards? Shit man im a noob to bows but that sounds pretty nice.

3inches at 50 is pretty good yes!!

you can find bows cheaper on ebay and a couple other sites, but my word of advice on this is if you are gonna buy it there and try to take it to somwwhere to set it up for you, they normally charge you for every little thing, because you didnt buy from there. if you can buy from someone local they will usualy setup for free and some give discounts for buying bow and accessories etc.

i can set up everything for you if you do decide to go with me once we get to talk more
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 am

d711789 wrote:
Bizotch wrote:

Yeah, but I am getting tired of destroying arrows.
Back to top Go down
Barney_killer187

Barney_killer187

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 am

its called a 5 spot target bizotch!!! use one lol
Back to top Go down
Spartan Runnerr

Spartan Runnerr

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 15

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:08 pm

I bought a PSE BOWMADNESS this year, and love it. It was a little pricey all set up but I love it. BEAR ARCHERY makes some great hunt ready packages that shoot really well. They won't cost ya quite so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Barney_killer187 wrote:
its called a 5 spot target bizotch!!! use one lol

I would but my target is only 2ft x 2ft and when shooting at 50 yards I am just aiming for the middle. pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm

What did you end up getting darrell?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 6:07 am

Bizotch wrote:
What did you end up getting darrell?
Barney is cutting me a deal on a pse Nova. Looks like a great 1st bow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hunting noob needs help.   hunting noob needs help. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hunting noob needs help.
Page 1 of 1