Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?

Go down 
+4
xXx MiGs xXx
JK STEELERS68
BlackDeath
evandadda
8 posters
AuthorMessage
evandadda

evandadda

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 19

Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Folks, it's time to buy a new TV. Does anyone play on a really big TV?? Looking into 70"+ TVs for the basement and wondering if anybody has one at home that they play on regularly.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP model 73837

It's about two years old now and even for the time I got a really good deal on it ($1400). My only issues with it is the on screen display controls are very slow to respond even after new remote batteries and a firmware upgrade on the TV itself.

DLP really is your only choice if you want to go over 64" - unless you have 20k to spend that is.

I really have no issues with my TV I love it for gaming and movies. I have three large egress windows in my basement and it doesn't have to be dark at all in order to enjoy the picture. Direct sunlight or skewed viewing angles are a weak point to DLP however. But for my setup its not an issue - just something for you to keep in mind. With a DLP TV you'll want the middle of the screen to be the same height as your face while viewing. Since the TV is so large it doesn't need to sit very far off the ground to achieve this. I purchased a TV stand stand specialized for this TV so it sits at the correct height. If you're looking up, down, or at an angle you will experience some shadowing as you will with most every DLP.

You can probably get Mitsu's latest DLP 73" for 1000 to 1300. Since my purchase they make an 80 and even a 92" version now!

Manufacturers that I've had really good luck with are LG, Samsung, and Mitsubishi.

IMO the DLP is a great choice for the average Joe. If you are an audio / video snob then I'd recommend plasma for the better contrast, more solid blacks, and most importantly refresh rate (for gaming). You will however spend double or triple on a plasma vs the DLP inch for inch. Also like i mentioned earlier you're limited to 64 or 65" in plasma - anything larger gets into what I call the "trump range" 70 to 80" being 20 to 30k all the way up to 110" for a cool 60k.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
evandadda

evandadda

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you find it hard to play COD on a really big screen?? I guess that's the issue that I'm trying to tackle. We have an 80" Sharp LED at work that I plugged the PS3 into and it seemed fine, but I had to sit back from the set so I didn't have to turn my head much from side to side to see everything. Just didn't know if folks with big TVs got used to it or found it annoying over time.

I'm in the hunt for at least the same 80" for home which I can get for about $4k. The trick is to convince the wife that we "need" the 90" LCD Razz
Back to top Go down
JK STEELERS68

JK STEELERS68

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 60

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 10:18 pm

I play on a 70" in the basement. I like because the Hud is like 19" big and easy to see and read. I tried to play on my son's 32", and I might have as well been playing Hardcore because the Hud was no use to my old ass eyes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/JKSTEELERS68
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

Playing on such a large screen has its advantages and disadvantages.

Pros - you can longshot the shit out of people and air support is easier to shoot down, also as JK mentioned the HUD is much larger

Cons - mid range engagements can be tough because you have SO much real estate to be looking for someone to shoot. Also sometimes with large displays comes controller input lag - it just depends on the image processing of the TV - I've seen 60" LCD's lag bad whereas I have not experienced it with my Mitsu thankfully.

Also keep in mind if you're running any type of surround sound receiver and/or video switch of any sort - it too can create input lag. It's always best to directly connect your console to the TV wherever possible.
Back to top Go down
xXx MiGs xXx

xXx MiGs xXx

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 38

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 am

I play much better on my 46" rather than my 60"
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 pm

You guys and your big TV's lol. I play on a 23 inch asus monitor. I do much better on it that my 60" plasma which I used to play on but due to recording gameplay this set up is much better having my PC and game monitors right next to one another. The advantage of a monitor is next to no input lag and the 1ms response time. There are lots of tv's that have horrendous input lag and the best response time you can get is 5ms.

Example of input lag

Input Lag and Responsiveness of Your Gaming TV
Input lag, not to be confused with response time, is the difference in the time from when the signal to your device is sent to the TV from when it's actually displayed. Low input lag is most important for FPS-type games where a fraction of a second could mean the difference between life and death. That being said even RPG and strategy gamers are affected by some HDTVs whose input lag can reach well in excess of 100ms!

Reducing Input Lag

Some HDTVs come with a game or PC mode that does reduce their overall input lag by reducing the number of filters that the picture goes through. This trade-off usually comes by sacrificing picture quality but can be well worth it for serious gamers.

More info and best rated TV's
http://www.squidoo.com/best-gaming-tv#module162603420
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:08 pm

also a side note to add on what Scott said above - anytime you are up-converting you can introduce terrible latency - e.g. console set to 720p but tv set to 1080
Back to top Go down
SwollenCamel

SwollenCamel

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 44

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:12 pm

And i used to be so proud of my 52'' lcd.............just feel so insignificant now Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
evandadda

evandadda

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Hey Missiler, are you using the Asus EVO monitor?? I'm leaning towards just a dedicated monitor for gaming instead of running it on a big TV. Thanks for the info. I've read that squidoo article and also some other articles as well relating to input lag.
Back to top Go down
HcMaximus

HcMaximus

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 0

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

I've also moved from a 42" Plasma to a 27"Viewsonic monitor (that I share now with my home pc) and I'm doing much better. even though everything is smaller your eyes don't have to travel along the screen that much and I'm having a faster reaction time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 pm

I have a 55" and I practically have to turn my head to see everything. Its great for people watching the game but for playing the smaller the better.
Back to top Go down
SwollenCamel

SwollenCamel

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 44

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

I don't care bout the size as long as it's in HD i'm good.
Spent far too long shooting shadows,bushes, and the odd headless dummy.
Back to top Go down
Brennan_Huff122

Brennan_Huff122

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:58 am

Used to play on a 65" plasma, was absolutley wicked had lot of fun. Sat abiut 6'-8' away, but got booted to the garage ao currently rocking a 42" lcd. I love my plasma great picture and no tracers, blacks r deep and looks great but did have tp replace the bulb after 2 1/2 yrs. Go with whats comortable and fits the room
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 1:25 am

evandadda wrote:
Hey Missiler, are you using the Asus EVO monitor?? I'm leaning towards just a dedicated monitor for gaming instead of running it on a big TV. Thanks for the info. I've read that squidoo article and also some other articles as well relating to input lag.

I am using this monitor. http://www.amazon.com/VH238H-23-Inch-Monitor-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B004J6BIJ8
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am

I have three of those on my desk! I got them for 100 bucks each refurb from newegg. Love em.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?   Anyone play on a big tv??  70"+? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone play on a big tv?? 70"+?
Page 1 of 1