Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Share | 

Scuf Repair

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 pm

As some may know my scuf had worn out after about 9 months of use. The left thumbstick would not let me run when playing COD and both thumbsticks felt loose. I wasn't about to buy another one so I decided to take it apart and switch the board out with one of my good controllers boards. I kept the bottom shell of the scuff and switch the triggers. It only requires you to solder the 4 wires for the A and B buttons on the paddles. Saving me $120 and now I have basically a brand new scuf.

Old scuf board

The 2 wires coming from the tact switches get soldered back here. One to each side of the split on the circles and you must gently scrape the black stuff off those circular pads on each side of the split until you see the copper then solder the wires coming from your original scuf shell bottom to each side of the circle. Use as little solder as possible to make the buttons on top still work/feel correctly.

Sorry didn't take pics while it was apart but here it is finished

PS: It is dirty lol. Gets used a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com http://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
xJ3R3MiaHx

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 0

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Awesome Help Man! I am looking into a scuf myself. How do you like it? Has it helped your game out quite a bit?
Back to top Go down
Winners

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I love it to the point that I don't want to use any other controller. It does make your aiming and firing reaction a hair faster once set up correctly. I am also used to the A and B button on the bottom. I felt lost with out it for the past 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sr Slampiece

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 235

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 pm

I did the same thing Scott. My old Scuf wore out and my wife got me a new OEM controller for Christmas so I took the guts of my Scuf and the bottom half and soldered the wires on. Good as new and now I have a back up.

Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/SrSlampiece?feature=watch
TheCanisDirus

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 56

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Nice man, Scuff rips people off like no other!

I soldered directly to the pads on my latest controller too. I got tired of finding the correct via for each button and a common ground... i got lazy haha. I was surprised that I couldn't feel the difference in the face buttons between my other controllers where i went behind the board and the one right to the pads. I did only use 32 gauge and only scraped a tiny tiny bit of the pad on each far side and trimmed the rubber pads... did you have to trim at all?
Back to top Go down
Maverick9227

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 19

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:33 pm

I hear the Sabertooth is incredible

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 0

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:51 pm

You don't have any crazy ways to fix a scratched CD do you? I'm on my second copy of BO2 because my son ran into my Xbox and I now have a circular scratch ring around my original copy. Would still love to fix it though and give it to a friend.
Back to top Go down
Winners

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 pm

gun fer hire wrote:
Nice man, Scuff rips people off like no other!

I soldered directly to the pads on my latest controller too. I got tired of finding the correct via for each button and a common ground... i got lazy haha. I was surprised that I couldn't feel the difference in the face buttons between my other controllers where i went behind the board and the one right to the pads. I did only use 32 gauge and only scraped a tiny tiny bit of the pad on each far side and trimmed the rubber pads... did you have to trim at all?

No I didn't trim but I did have to reopen it a few times to get the solder thin enough to work properly. Scuf themselves solder directly to the pad also.
Back to top Go down
TheCanisDirus

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:35 pm

M I S S I L E R wrote:
No I didn't trim but I did have to reopen it a few times to get the solder thin enough to work properly. Scuf themselves solder directly to the pad also.
Hmm, I know my OG Scuff... I "think" Slams too (going on his pictures of the internals) was soldered using the vias... but they probably have different people soldering different ways in "the back room" lol. Let me know if you start experiencing issues with your "pad solder"... mine's also going strong... but i wonder if one day it just gives out haha. Althoughhhhhh i am pressing the top face buttons much much less after duplicating all of them underneath... ah well 720 with new controllers will be here before i break a tiny 32 gauge solder joint. Then it's on to cracking those controllers open and seeing whats what.
Back to top Go down
Winners

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:03 pm

gun fer hire wrote:
M I S S I L E R wrote:
Hmm, I know my OG Scuff... I "think" Slams too (going on his pictures of the internals) was soldered using the vias... but they probably have different people soldering different ways in "the back room" lol. Let me know if you start experiencing issues with your "pad solder"... mine's also going strong... but i wonder if one day it just gives out haha. Althoughhhhhh i am pressing the top face buttons much much less after duplicating all of them underneath... ah well 720 with new controllers will be here before i break a tiny 32 gauge solder joint. Then it's on to cracking those controllers open and seeing whats what.

Ya this pic is the original scuf board. I have another I made myself which also is worn out and needs a new board but the solders held fine to the pads for past 2 years.

Back to top Go down
TheCanisDirus

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Sweet, that's good news! I was afraid it wouldn't last as long but so far so good and your confirmation makes me feel even better haha. It's a shame more people won't tinker themselves... they'd save soooo much money and have the knowledge to repair if/when things do go wrong or they need to replace an analog or bumper button etc.
Back to top Go down
SwollenCamel

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 44

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 am

xJ3R3MiaHx wrote:
You don't have any crazy ways to fix a scratched CD do you? I'm on my second copy of BO2 because my son ran into my Xbox and I now have a circular scratch ring around my original copy. Would still love to fix it though and give it to a friend.

Cutting paste and a good buffing pad on an angle grinder,keep the direction of the buffing pad running from the center out to the edge.

PostSubject: Re: Scuf Repair   

Back to top Go down

Scuf Repair
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Over 30 Clan :: Welcome to the Over 30 Clan :: Technical Help Area-
Jump to: