Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Ps4 to xbox1 convert
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
    How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
    Google Ads

How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3

Go down 
    Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
    AuthorMessage

How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Empty
    PostSubject: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Embedded videos of how to replace the thermal compound on your PS3. Special thanks to NamKnight for finding these videos. Very easy to do on your machine and will greatly extend the life of it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 9:50 am

N8, can you come over and do this for me? I'll buy the beer.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am

Sure. You may have to buy the plane ticket too. Very Happy Just watch the videos all the way thru. I know it takes some time, but he explains it very, very well. It really is as easy or easier than changing the oil in your car. Plus if you ever get the YLOD you would then know how to disassembe your PS3 and get to the motherboard to reflow the solder without f'ing it up.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 am

Perhaps I'll try on Monday. Us Eye-Talians get the day off to celebrate our greatest hero, Cristofero Colombo. Or as the rest of the world knows him, Christopher Columbus... pirat
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:09 am

Nam Knight is much closer to your location. I bet he would work for beer too! If you are really worried about it, find a PS3 that has YLOD and is broke on craigslist or ebay for a few bucks and use that one as your guinea pig. You may even be able to reflow the solder and get it running. Heat gun is the best, but an oven will work. Just tell the wife you are baking a cake. Very Happy
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 10:15 am

I've seen videos where some kid does it with a hair dryer and a cardboard box...looked easy enough for a hack like me.

Although I DID replace the hard drive all by myself! cyclops
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 am

I also need to do this, and am also scared to try it! Where do you get that silver paste shit or whatever it is?
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:12 am

I see the sell it at Radio Shack in most states.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am

Nice, I have one of those close by. Thanks FBD.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Heatsink compound is messy shit. Make sure to get rid of all the crusty old stuff (use something gentler than a knife, yikes!) and just use enough to cover the contact surfaces when you apply the new stuff. There is a reason it is sold in small quantities.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 pm

It only takes a very thin layer of compound to effectively transfer heat to the sinks. Avoid overspill and thin it out with a credit card to avoid air bubbles. a Drop about the size of a BB is all that is needed to adequately cover the sinks. Isopropyl alcohol and a fiber free microfiber cloth works well for cleaning the old compound off. Don't scrape it with anything mettalic. Using alcohol to soften and wiping should be all you need to do. The artic silver 5 is a good heat sink medium. If you are a real cheap ass and want to make some kick ass diamond dust based thermal compound here is a good link.
    http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/DiamondGrease/OverView.aspx
    Some really fun projects on that webpage too.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks N8 for the vids. I need to do this as soon as I get the chance. My PS3 is about 3 years old and the fan blows like my exgirlfriend. +1 to you sir for the post.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 4:51 am

usandthem1 wrote:
    Thanks N8 for the vids. I need to do this as soon as I get the chance. My PS3 is about 3 years old and the fan blows like my exgirlfriend. +1 to you sir for the post.
    You must miss her.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 am

LOL. My wife does a realy good job. If I can get her to do it.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm going to attempt this tonight. Wish me luck.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Very Happy Which one? Get her to do it or replace the thermal compound? Best of luck to you with either endeavor.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 pm

BigDaddyN8 wrote:
    Very Happy Which one? Get her to do it or replace the thermal compound? Best of luck to you with either endeavor.

study Awaiting FBD's report in the morning......
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:57 am

You know why a woman smiles as she walks down the aisle on her wedding day?

It's because she knows she's given her last BJ. Mad

I didn't get to the thermal compound last night...too tired after practice so I just watched a movie with the kids. I'll have a go tonight. Found the Arctic Silver at Radio Shack for $10.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:58 am

Why are all of our names suddenly yellow?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 am

Thermal compound fail. I took the whole damn thing apart, (which, by the way, looked NOTHING like the video), and could not get the motherfarking heat sink out. There must have been some secret screw/tab/latch under there somewhere that I could not pry apart. I didn't want to snap anything so I said fuck it.

Put the whole thing back together, and miraculously had no extra parts. I plugged it back in expecting the worst, but the damn thing started right up!

So now I have an unopened tube of Arctic Silver that I will gladly send to any of you for the $10 I paid for it (plus postage and handling).

On the bright side, I did get many years of dust and grime out of the chassis, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of an hour of my life.

I searched every corner of the web for disassembly instructions for the oldest fat 40gb PS3 and got nothin'. So use this as a cautionary tale if you have a really old PS3. If you want the Arctic Silver, let me know.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 9:42 am

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to completely disassemble the ole fat stack. At least you were able to get 3-4 years of dust out of it. I have seen disassembly videos and instructions for the older 40gb PS3's so they are out there. If you want to give it another shot some day let me know and I will try to dig up one of the old 40 gig disassembly videos. At least you properly reassebmled it and it works.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 am

Getting the dust out will help it breathe better, and you're right, our older PS3 looks different than the one in the vid. I'm surprised a how much they've changed them.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm

pretty cool I may give this a try thanks
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Ok so I did something similar to the videos, my machine was different than the one in videos, but was similar enough. I only ended up with 3 extra small black screws. I ran the machine over the weekend and it seems to be running fine. I did forget to plug the fan power supply in so I had the thing apart more than once. The two boards fell apart and the thermal paste was dry as hell. I don't think I hurt it any and hope I did some good.

On a side note if anyone wants to try this and wants some thermal past I will send it free of charge, its the artic stuff from radio shak. Just pm me your address.

I did need a really small torx bit to open the case but jammed a small flathead in there and it worked just fine.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 am

Very good video's man thing is i dont own the first generation of the PS3 i have the slim version any video's of taking that apart? My PS3 is loud as hell when i play for over an hour think its full of dust or something but i know i will have to replace the compound in my soon. So hook me up with some videos on the slim
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3   How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to replace the thermal compound on your PS3
    Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next