Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

Go down 
+11
TripleAce Andy
birddotcom
BlackDeath
bluehound000
NukeLaCoog
SwollenCamel
MoneyMan300
Repo_Dog
walldoggy
invisible843
Nely
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TripleAce Andy

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Rolling Eyes  TLDR

I think I found what you've been looking for

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Burnin10
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tripleaceandy
TheCanisDirus

TheCanisDirus

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 56

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Wait... the Xbox One is still around?  Razz 
Back to top Go down
invisible843

invisible843

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 4

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm

^^^^^^^FANBOY^^^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

walldoggy

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 173

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 pm

MoneyMan300 wrote:
Microsoft is definitely paying Machinima for their services...that is not disputed.  Machinima came out with an update accepting responsibility for the language in their terms and conditions and sent out an update to the youtubers explaining that they must disclose they are being paid for their promotion of the the product.  I still don't see where MS is being unethical here...they are paying Machinima for a promotion.   Now Machinima on the other hand??

The unethical part of the last part of the promotion as required by MSFT: to not talk about it (i.e. disclosure) and not say anything negative about MSFT, Machinima, or XB1.

If you've never worked at a magazine or newspaper before (as I have) this may not seem like a big deal, but the same principles apply.  The whole point of print/broadcast/online media is to drive eyeballs to the paid advertisements.  So those in the media (Machinima included) have to talk with fine line between appearing to be independent objective 3rd parties and biting the hands that feed them.  Imagine if Time Magazine or Newsweek wasn't allowed to say anything negative about their biggest advertisers.  Who would buy their magazines if everyone knew that they were just the paid mouthpieces of Big Oil, Tobacco, or Auto?

And really, if they just said we'll give you $3 extra per CPM and make your normal disclosures and say whatever you want, this wouldn't be an issue.  As normal, it's the cover-up that has everyone all worked up, not the actual sin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/walldogkl2010
Soulmiser

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 0

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I'd imagine this happens more often, this one just got out in the open.
Back to top Go down
bluehound000

bluehound000

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 23

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

I would normally stay out of these types of discussion, because I just don't care.  But here is a segment of an analysis pulled from the comment section of a Rev3Games You-tube Livestream from last night that sums up my opinion on what is happening here.  He says it much better than I can:

Daniel Carrapa:

...This debate is being inflated by some websites, and it is becoming a way to put independent youtubers in a negative light, as non-credible sources of information, because all these "shady practices" that are apparently going on.
So you get this manipulative dichotomy: the untrustworthy, unchecked youtubers, versus the sacrosanct game journalists, checked by ethically driven editorial guidelines.
And this, sorry to say, is BS, and we all know it. These pressures exist in all media, and have existed for a long time. So, game journalists aren't directly paid from corporate PR, but those friendships exist and will give journalists an edge. We are not virgins here. Get friendly with the right people and you'll have privileged access to exclusive content, get invites for important venues, doors open for interviews. Is it illegal? No. Is it ethical? Depends. Is it going on in official gaming news websites, or in all other forms of press, yes.
So, what's new here? Nothing. Yes, these pressures, that exist in journalism as well, also exist in independent media sources like YouTube. And it's up to the viewer to judge and choose who it is they find more believable and ethical and serious. It's like that in journalism. It's like that on youtube.
This controversy is a smoke screen. There's nothing to see here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2jYqvIwfMp5exPh0sYjnGQ
Dog_soildier

Dog_soildier

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 17

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Soulmiser wrote:
I'd imagine this happens more often, this one just got out in the open.

Yes it does but when they catch them they should pay the price same as sony has same as lg has and many more ! It is agianst the law in many country's not just in the us!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/dogsoildier1?feature=mhee
Nely

Nely

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 28

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 pm

bluehound000 wrote:
I would normally stay out of these types of discussion, because I just don't care.  But here is a segment of an analysis pulled from the comment section of a Rev3Games You-tube Livestream from last night that sums up my opinion on what is happening here.  He says it much better than I can:

Daniel Carrapa:

...This debate is being inflated by some websites, and it is becoming a way to put independent youtubers in a negative light, as non-credible sources of information, because all these "shady practices" that are apparently going on.
So you get this manipulative dichotomy: the untrustworthy, unchecked youtubers, versus the sacrosanct game journalists, checked by ethically driven editorial guidelines.
And this, sorry to say, is BS, and we all know it. These pressures exist in all media, and have existed for a long time. So, game journalists aren't directly paid from corporate PR, but those friendships exist and will give journalists an edge. We are not virgins here. Get friendly with the right people and you'll have privileged access to exclusive content, get invites for important venues, doors open for interviews. Is it illegal? No. Is it ethical? Depends. Is it going on in official gaming news websites, or in all other forms of press, yes.
So, what's new here? Nothing. Yes, these pressures, that exist in journalism as well, also exist in independent media sources like YouTube. And it's up to the viewer to judge and choose who it is they find more believable and ethical and serious. It's like that in journalism. It's like that on youtube.
This controversy is a smoke screen. There's nothing to see here.

While I agree with the bold part. I don't think this Daniel guy has a grasp on what the problem was here. (Sessler did a horrible job of keeping the topic going btw.)

The problem was disclosure or lack there of, that and it sounds like these guys who sign these contracts refuse to read the fine print.

I talked to Recon on Twitter. (he revealed the contract) It was about disclosure. This nonsense about independent youtubers (if there is such a thing) gaming journos is just blocking the real discussion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ebay.com/usr/napafish77
FightingOkra75

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 2:51 pm

The FTC says it isn't an issue and is not illegal.

"So (for example) if an advertiser is not following these guidelines, there is no penalty. But the FTC could send a warning letter and if the problem is not eventually resolved, the agency could opt to open an investigation. But the ultimate charge (if the FTC decides to follow through) would be a violation of the FTC Act (violation of federal advertising law) and not a violation of the Guides. (It is not technically possible to violate the Guides because unlike regulations, the Guides are not legally enforceable.)"

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/23/5337574/the-ftc-on-paying-youtubers-to-endorse-games

Sounds like another round of much ado about nothing to this veggie.

Glad the topic found its way to this forum though.  It builds the sense of brotherhood and stuff.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

look at veggie doing his interwebs research Smile

legal or not its dirty pool - selling a car with a blown engine isn't illegal either buyer beware I suppose.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
FightingOkra75

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 pm

I wouldn't compare it to selling a faulty product.

They got some kind of bonus advertising with their Machinima ad buy. This isn't uncommon at all in advertising.

I used to work at a TV station and the advertisers got this and that as a bonus. Sometimes the bonus spots/mentions were part of the actual contract. Other times they were not and were just put out by mgt so that at a later sales meeting they could then tell the buyers about what we did as a "bonus."

It was small time advertising and nothing more than that.

Moving along now, nothing to see here.....

Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I guess I see it differently because BF4 is that car with the blown engine. If you're going to "review" that car but never disclose its greatest flaws that's kind shady don't you think?

I understand paid advertisements / endorsements but to me this situation is special because like I said the game is broken.
Back to top Go down
FightingOkra75

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Well yeah but the problem wasn't that they paid a few obscure youtubers a few bucks each to post some BF4 vids.

The problem is the Eurogamer and IGN and Machinima staff themselves refused to tell the truth about BF4 prior to release in their reviews.

Youtube is more responsible for spreading the truth about BF4 than it is a reason it was able to hide its flaws in my opinion.

The professional gaming press has proven to be anything but professional and is the real problem.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:27 pm

I would totally agree with lack of credibility. IMO the best review you'll ever get is from someone who PAID for that product out of their own pocket.
Back to top Go down
Nely

Nely

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 pm

FightingOkra75 wrote:
The FTC says it isn't an issue and is not illegal.

"So (for example) if an advertiser is not following these guidelines, there is no penalty. But the FTC could send a warning letter and if the problem is not eventually resolved, the agency could opt to open an investigation. But the ultimate charge (if the FTC decides to follow through) would be a violation of the FTC Act (violation of federal advertising law) and not a violation of the Guides. (It is not technically possible to violate the Guides because unlike regulations, the Guides are not legally enforceable.)"

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/23/5337574/the-ftc-on-paying-youtubers-to-endorse-games

Sounds like another round of much ado about nothing to this veggie.

Glad the topic found its way to this forum though.  It builds the sense of brotherhood

and stuff.

The guidelines were put there so people don't break the law.  If you are not following the guidelines, hence you are possibly breaking the law.    

That's what they are there for. Crescente is so lost. (Polygon too)

Last edited by Nely on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nely

Nely

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Who wants to bet that there is a Titanfall contract floating around?

MS and EA together. 2 peas in a pod.
Back to top Go down
Repo_Dog

Repo_Dog

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 109

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Dead-horse

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you   Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2