Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

PS3 and the internet

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PS3 and the internet Empty
PostSubject: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:46 pm

This is a post I found on another website from a reputable member.
I think it's worth sharing.....
Quote :
I had an interesting conversation with a tech supervisor from playstation support. According to him, the PS3 does not "process" anything over 10 mbs down. It can really have a hard time displaying more than 25 mbs during the connection test, no matter how fast your speed is. Also, the PS3 upload speeds....anything over 1 mbs is pretty much a waste. The size of the data being transferred during any online match (i.e. bullet) is so small, at 1mbs, it is still instant. You can only be so much faster than instant. The time difference is so small, that as far as bandwidth goes, no point in anything faster. He did say that, 10 mbs meant, 10 mbs to your PS3. So if you are on a 10 mbs, and you are downloading a torrent, then you won't have all of your 10 mbs (duh).

Ping does matter, but again, the PS3 doesn't actually utilize pings of 11ms or even 30ms. 50ms is about as good as it gets and anything under 100ms, and you will be fine. Also, an ADSL connection with 10-12 mbs, with that amount going to the PS3, was much, much better in most cases, than a cable connection of 50 mbs. This, is due to the ADSL line having a dedicated line to you, and with cable, you are splitting it. That leaves your connection quality up to how many people are online with your ISP, how much extra bandwidth your ISP is allowing for "high traffic times" ect ect.

Fiber optic was great, I was told. However, again, you only can use so much speed with the PS3 before it is a waste.

Now, before you say "I upgraded my connection and it does work better for me." This is because, with faster speeds, comes newer lines, newer servers on your ISP's end, better equipment (routers/modems) and an overall better connection quality. His opinion was, if you lived close enough to the DSL "hub" to get good speeds (8mbs-12 or 15mbs) then that is THE route to go. Way less money than Fiber optic, and just as effective when you are not hogging the bandwidth by someone else. The quality of your ISP is important as well.

The above information was given to me in regards to PS3. It may or may not be good for xbox, PC ect. It, however does not matter, since other players on PS3 have the same parameters as you. A really good example of this is Toxic16. He has 10 mbs D/L speed. He has lag, and that in BLOPS is unavoidable entirely. However, he does not lag any more, and seems to even less than I do.....and I have 60mbs....

This is not a cure all for LAG, and Black ops has its own issues. The tech did say that anything on your end, that is not ideal, will certainly make things much worse.

Just found it all interesting. Soooo, save yourself some money, and do not get crazy fast internet for PS3 gaming.

I have lowered my Speed to the lowest available from my ISP. I will be playing tonight. Updates are on the way.

Oh and one more thing. If you are directly connected to a modem, or have your PS3 in a DMZ.....you still have a firewall. Cable providers have their on firewalls that you cannot disable due to their own fear of liability. However, using port forwarding will 100% open that port in their firewall as well. This means that Port forwarding is actually more beneficial than a DMZ, a Modem, or even disabling your firewall completely. The guy was pretty knowledgeable.

I did have significant improvement in my gaming XP going from 1.5 DSL to 16+cable. But 1.5 is really not adequate nowadays. I'll keep the 16, it'll allow extra bandwidth for the wifey to surf and not cut into the 10 Mbps the PS3 will utilize.

Last edited by SN0WR1DER on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Hmmm interesting, this has given me second thoughts about upgrading my broadband...thanks Snowr1der
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I only dream of 10mbps broadband.. I pay for 20 but get around 3!!

The UK.gov seems to think it's fine that companies can do this here and so they continue to get away with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 4:04 pm

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1476435964.png
Might still upgrade to at least get the 10mps the ps3 can utilize.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 9:07 pm

I dunno if im in agreement with everything i read of that. My older plan i had 1mg upload service and it was extremely rare that i pulled host. I swtiched to a plan that has 2mg up and started getting host quite often. Next came the plan i have now with 3mg up and im host a good majority of the time so i cant agree with the statement that anything over 1 is a waste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:57 pm

I run 25 mbt download. when I test with my ps3, my download speed is at 11.0 and my upload is at 2.0 to 2.1, and that is running wireless. Hardwired I show download speeds up to 20 and upload around 3 to 4. I upgraded a couple months ago, but I also upgraded my wireless router and got a high speed modem. Both those upgrades along with internet speed made a difference. I mainly upgraded because my wife streams video when I"m online. I have hosted quite a few games since the upgrade. I'm happy with the speed I'm running now, just wish I could say the same about treyarch servers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:41 pm

This writeup does make sense - after all, you can have the fastest connection around, but if your system doesn't have the processing power to take advantage of it, it doesn't mean a lot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 11:57 am

CrazyNixon7 wrote:
I dunno if im in agreement with everything i read of that. My older plan i had 1mg upload service and it was extremely rare that i pulled host. I swtiched to a plan that has 2mg up and started getting host quite often. Next came the plan i have now with 3mg up and im host a good majority of the time so i cant agree with the statement that anything over 1 is a waste.

I currently have a 10/1 cable connection...and I can in no way support a game running off my box. People complain and the other team quits.
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading again... study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 1:09 pm

i was running 7/1 with talk talk and i could not host for shit and even joining you guys over the pond was almost unplayable, now i have virgin fibre now and running 20+/3+ and the connection is as good as it can be ... but i do see what the modem/equipment makes a massive difference .. i got a super hub now and oh my the settings you can change is unbelievably...
i didnt think much about it before but my connection kept dropping out and yesterday phoned virgin and within 5 mins it has been fixed. the hub has its own web site (believe it or not) and the list of adjustments goes right down the home page lol .. i only change them to the manufacturers instructions tho because im not great at that sort of thing. its almost like programming lol but would defo recommend it as a upgrade to your connection rather than upgrading the whole tarif to another company, anyways i think that statement is right snowrider and thanks for the share .. still glad i got the upgrade tho because i can do what i want when i want, dl, stream, fb, the site and photoshop while plying blops with all me mates Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 pm

I might look into doing the Port Fwd next week if I remember and can be asked, if I do I'll let everyone know if it makes a noticeable difference
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Yeah my broadband is off Sky, It uses a BT line and I too get "UP TO 20 Meg" Which in reality the best I've seen is around 6 Meg.
My brother is on virgin, and gets aroung 15 Meg ( Or so he says )
This country really does need to improve its broadband....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I think to get the best broadband (bandwidth unit per cost) you'd have to move somewhere to Scandinavia or South Korea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3 and the internet   PS3 and the internet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3 and the internet
Page 1 of 1