Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Empty
PostSubject: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 5:45 pm

My desktop crapped out on my last week, but I'm not sure why. I can't get past the boot screen, even with a different (blank) HDD installed and the WinXP CD in the drive. In fact, I can't even pool up the BIOS setup screen. I built this about 3 years ago and am painfully out of touch with current computer tech.

I believe that I have a good PS, case, DVD drives, graphics card, monitor, and presumably HDD. What I need is a replacement mobo, ram, and CPU. That said, I'd like to keep it no more than $500.

What mobo/ram/cpu combo is recommended? I need to run photoshop, and then the typical range of office software. I've enjoyed BF3 so much, I've toyed with buying a rig that will play the PC version (this is a "would be nice" but won't drive the design). I'd consider it buying a pre-built box, but given the price range, I'm thinking that it will limit me to a mid-grade computer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 6:30 pm

what graghic card, power supply and hard drive do you currently have? O do you want AMD or INTEL or does it not matter to you? AMD is cheaper bang for the buck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 pm

I did some looking and if you want hands down the best in photoshop and really anything else intel core i7 would be the way to go. But being that your on a budget of about 500 I would say a cheaper...... Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K motherboard and chip combo from newegg $370 allowing give or take $130 for ram. Or you could go AMD with AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX mortheboard and chip combo for $300 allowing give or take $200 for ram (at least 4gig min) cheaper stuff can be found thats just examples and both of those would play BF3 if you have the required video card. You would need to make sure your power supply is big enough and correct for the setup as well. If you have any questions or need any help feel free to send me a message. Others may have different opinions as what to get and ultimately it is up to you my friend. lol good luck and happy hunting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 am

SoulReaver0102 wrote:
what graghic card, power supply and hard drive do you currently have? O do you want AMD or INTEL or does it not matter to you? AMD is cheaper bang for the buck

PS is s 750w Cooler Master, HDD are 1TB Seagate SATAs. IIRC, the graphics card is a ASUS SLI 7600GS.

I'm not brand loyal, just want is the best performance per dollar at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 pm

That is all decent gear Mr.A, I don't think you need to replace everything. I'm no expert but it sounds like your mobo has crapped out. Everything else should be good to go still.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

audiopile wrote:
That is all decent gear Mr.A, I don't think you need to replace everything. I'm no expert but it sounds like your mobo has crapped out. Everything else should be good to go still.

Agreed, I'm thinking a mobo, cpu, and new ram should get me moving again. Just looking for advice since I've not built a computer in some time. Dagnabbit, this fancy smanshy computer who-haa is changing too der fast!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:52 pm

yes those parts will do fine. down the road you can update the video card and should have a really nice system that will last a while to come. Good luck with the new build
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:04 pm

I had a laptop that crapped out last year and wouldn't even boot up. It was stuck in a cycle to the boot menu.

I fixed it by installing a free copy of Ubuntu. Since then I switched all my laptops and desktops to ubuntu (Linux). It is free and it solved my problems. But I only use my computers for web surfing, word processing.......stuff like that. I really like Linux as an OS compared to Windows and its constant issues.

Just thought I'd toss that in there......it could be the OS and have nothing to do with the hardware.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

Sounds like it's the mobo that is the problem since you can't even get into the bios.

Try booting with only 1 stick of memory and see if you can get the computer to boot or go into the bios. If it still locks up, try another memory slot. Try another stick by itself and do the same.

I don't think you need to replace the cpu, memory or any other components. Just get the same mobo or another mobo with the same specs as what you have now (one that supports your current cpu, memory and video card).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 pm

so I decided to pull everything apart and reseat it all, despite the computer sitting nicely on the desk working well for the past year, untouched. As in my MO, I took it down to component and hosed it down with liberal applications of unfiltered compressed air in my garage. I also rubbed down all connections with a pencil eraser as an old IT guy once taught me.

Long story short, I'm now posting from my once dead machine. Woot!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 7:41 pm

cool i am glad it works, now you can save your money or spend it on new games lol
Back to top Go down
walldoggy

walldoggy

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 173

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Sweet! Now treat yourself to something $500 nice since you just saved yourself that! lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/walldogkl2010
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new   Computer Help:  Rebuild/buying new Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Computer Help: Rebuild/buying new
Page 1 of 1