Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Ps3 YLOD fix

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pariah_81

pariah_81

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 21

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 pm

So the Ps3 gods are really pissed that I am switching consoles for a little while and blessed me with the Yellow Light of Death. This actually is an easy fix, and I am planning on fixing it this weekend. I will be happy to upload a guide to fixing this if anyone is interested. Anyone want to see this? It will save you a large amount of money fixing this yourself.
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 pm

I just got done doing a reflow last weekend. Wish to hell I had the equipment to do a reball and get rid of that tin-nickel solder and go back to a lead based solder. I find it a kick in the ass to repair the "dead" ones that my kids friends just dump. Post up what you have Pariah. The more info the merrier.Here is a great link that I use that is more for preventative and highlights the 3 big reasons the YLOD shows up on the PS3, especially the older fat one.

Linky: http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 pm

I am going to be fixing this tomorrow. I am doing a reflow since I don't have the equipment to do a reball either. I know why mine got the YLOD, dropping a ps3 is always bad for the insides lol. I will put up a tutorial with pictures. If it does not go well, I have to retrieve the mw3 disc inside the blue ray so I will post that up as well if reflowing goes bad. I can also put up a small tutorial for swapping hard drives in older ps3 models.
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll be having to do this any day now. I keep saying that and my PS3 keeps on chugging, but it's definitely on the fritz!
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Low solid no clean flux in liquid or pen form, a controllable heat gun that has multiple settings, and an infared thermometer is all you need along with patience. Oh yeah, some thermal compound. Check the link above. It is very thorough on how to do it.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:33 am

You mentioned some tools that I was not aware I needed. I checked that link out 8 and its for prevention not fixing the problem . My buddy said he did it with a heat gun and thats it. what is the low solid no clean flux for? also whats eh infrared thermometer for? I understand you want to know what heat it is that the board is, but couldnt you preheat the board and slowly cool the board?

Also, did you need a jig? i was doing some research and it looks like the board warps?
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 am

So ps3 is fixed. I am sorry I completely forgot to put this workthrough up. it was a long day yesterday. however I can take it apart and put it back together completely fixed in under 30 mins now LOL
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 4:33 pm

I have an unopened tube of Arctic Silver thermal compound if anyone needs it. It can be tricky to find some places. I think it was like $10. I'll mail it wherever.
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Glad you fixed it. I am writing on my phone so bear with my typos, dumbphone autocorrects, and spelling. Thanks to the 2006 lead in toy safety act, lead solders can no longer be used in toys. Unfortunately game consoles are classified as toys and not computers. The playstations use a nickel tin solder in the motherboard to comply with the law. This solder for all intents and purposes is brittle and less resistant to high temps. As the pisspoor thermal compound that don't uses dries up it no longer transfers heat from the rsx graphics chip and cpu chip to the heatsinks. Then the solder holding the pins into the motherboard cracks, loosing connectivity, and throwing the ylod error code. The reflow of a motherboard remelts the solder reestablishing connection and fixing the ylod. Failure to use a flux paste and replacing the thermal compound usually results in a motherboard failing again within two weeks to a month.

The flux is a non corrosive flux that does not conduct or cause etching of the board or need to be cleaned. Like any soldering the flux with cause impurities and slag to float to the top of the bead of soldier and ensure a good connection and reduce surface tension so the solder can reflow around the pin on the chip. The if thermometer is necessary to ensure you don't damage the board and components. The fsolder Sony uses melts at 220 degrees celsius, but damage to the silica of the mother board occurs at around 240 degrees celsius. It is impossible to accurately warm a motherboard and ensure the cpu and rsx chip reach 220 without exceeding 240 without a IF thermometer.. not high enough temp and the reflow doesn't work, too high and you fry the cpu chip. You don't have to heat the entire board, just the two chips. A jig us not necessary for a reflow, but is necessary for a reball. Reball is when you stripbthe shit solder off and replace it with a good lead based solder. The board will not warp if you heat it evenly to 100 degrees C and just take the chips to melting temp. If thermometers are easiest and the most accurate. You can use a bbq meat thermometer, but its a pain in the ass. DON'T move or juggle board until it cools or the melted solder can run together and completely ruin the board.

It really isn't very hard to do. Dissasemble, keep level, flux, reflow, replace thermal compound, reassemble. Tada,, tne machine that will run like new.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 pm

yeah I did it without the reflow and the thermometer. I just preheated the board, reflowed the 2 processors for about a minute or 2 and slowly brought the board cool. I used a cheap heat gun from Home depot that got to 750 F and held it about an inch away from the board. There was no warping, no issues. I have had the ps3 turn off one time, but after that there has been no issues. I tested it for 5 hours playing skyrim, Its intensity used to always max out my fan. There was no issue at all.

I am hoping that this stays fixed, it would be nice to see the ps3 go to its fully life cycle without having to buy a second one lol.
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 pm

In order to stop the ylod from returning, I highly recommend installing a fan controller using a linear potentiometer. You can actually grab a 100k linear potentiometer at radio shack. The fan just doesnt push enough air through the heat sinks. There are many guides out there. You can also find them on ebay. Once you have controll of the fan, you turn that puppy up and keep things nice and cool. YLOD will not return after a reflow and fan mod. At least from my experience. I have done quite a few.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 3:27 am

Well i have to reflow it again so i guess I will look into it. I am having a feeling I did not reflow it for long enough time. I was monitoring the ps3 as well, and I never had any cooling issues this time around. I am not sure why it died on me this time.
Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 am

Lack of flux during the relow. Use some this time and you will see better results. Make sure you get those chips to 220 C for 60-90 secs without trashing the processors. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm

any tutorials on how to apply the reflux?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ps3 YLOD fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ps3 YLOD fix   Ps3 YLOD fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ps3 YLOD fix
Page 1 of 1