Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

The Ultimate Network / Router Thread

Go down 
+9
Denar
ImGoodIfYouSuck
Maverick9227
TydenWolf
DELTAxDOG
pokerchipped
mwhop78
pariah_81
BlackDeath
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm curious as to what you think of this guys vid, BlackDeath; and if it's worth the trouble. It's about assigning a static IP and Port Forwarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bwm0GeoPXQ&feature=related

Last edited by lance71 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to paste link to vid)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:48 pm

One more question - with a very good cable internet where on my wireless I average 20 down; 5 up; less than 20 ms ping; do you think I'd see any improvement by hardwiring the xbox?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 am

BlackDeath wrote:
@wzrd - who's your ISP? I'm guessing by the package details its DSL?

I think your ISP may be screwing with you. Especially if you have AT&T they are NOTORIOUS for blocking ports unexpectantly on their networks.

I hate to give this bland advice but have you tried unplugging your DSL modem for 60 seconds and reconnecting? If by chance you do have AT&T I'm guessing they gave you a 2wire brand modem. It should have some logging features - if you're comfortable viewing the config webpage of your modem / router you may be able to find a log section to get a better idea whats going on. If you see a lot of entries that mention "RETRY" or "DISCONNECT" it may be an issue with your ISP. Also there should be network statistics located somewhere in the modem menu / webpage - look for the number of dropped packets. If your modem/router also has wifi they're may be two different numbers listed...one set for wifi the other set for your actual ISP / WAN link. Make note of both.

Yup it's AT&T U-verse. This all happened with the latest MW3 update so I'm sure it's that because everyone seems to be having issues since the update. Especially since I never changed any settings in my router and all of a sudden it went from Open to Strict after the update.

BTW it's a Motorola NVG510 modem because it's U-Verse (ADSL) not DSL which they give you a 2Wire.

Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 12:37 pm

@lance

I would agree with giving your console a hard set (static) IP address. If you ever need to do any type of port forwarding or traffic shaping you always know what address your console is.

This guy isn't saying anything different really that I just have. He's basically setting up port forwarding. You can also place your console in a DMZ as I explained earlier. IMO on xbox there is very little risk. Since the PS3's encryption has been compromised / hacked in the past I would be a little more hesitant on the DMZ and go with port forwarding.

Regarding wired vs wifi - technically yes there is a difference. Most of the time it's minimal but a wired connection will have less latency. If there is an excessive amount of wifi traffic it could be a lot. I've seen as little as 5ms and as much as 100 to 200ms throughout my career.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
pariah_81

pariah_81

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 21

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 6:12 pm

lets put it this way lance, if you have over 54mbps of internet, you will see a difference. if not, no you will not see any difference. The real advantage is that you do not have to worry about having your connection drop if someone walks by with a cordless phone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:10 pm

So I did the static IP and port forwarding; and was going to do the DMZ, but the page on my router setup was different than the instructions I was using so didn't do that.

Also installed a new N router at the same time - upgrading my 5-6 y.o. G router. Now when I look at the wireless connection speed on my laptop, it says 150mb instead of the 54 it always used to.

My computer used to load web pages quickly, but now it's very very fast. Haven't noticed a huge difference in MW3 play, but I think there are fewer of the empty a clip and only get hit-marker moments. Nothing to substantiate that with, though.

Will doing the DMZ improve the connection more, or it really won't make much of a difference?
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 pm

@lance

good to hear - glad you were able to figure out the port forwarding thing

its one or the other buddy (dmz OR forwarding) there is no need to forward anything if your console is sitting in a dmz - as long as your NAT type in game says "open" you're golden

N routers are nice they support a newer functionality called MIMO (multiple in / multiple out) basically it tries to use multiple connections to break that 54mb boundary.

you should be set but if you run into any issues just let us know - i'm here to help
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 6:05 am

lance you won't see a difference. your xbox is still running on the g bandwidth. Really the only thing that wireless N is good for is for transferring information within your own network (think streaming from your pc to your xbox if it is hardwired) I have an aeronet in my house and am able to stream 1080p from my server to my ps3. I am still limited to the ethernet port of 100mb, but that is enough to get the hd quality through.

N also allows you to get a longer range, stronger signal, and a cleaner signal than G.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Lol, shows how much I know. So is the best thing to just hardwire the xbox?
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

The difference is minimal. I wouldn't sweat it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Ok, thanks again to you and Pariah for all the help/advice!
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 65

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Hey J, im haveing some isues with my wifi. The signal has gone to shit and i have no clue why? I did some test from my phone off of speed tests app back 2 months ago amd i was getting 5 down 1 up 25 ping from any room in the house. When i would walk up to the router i was getting 18down 1 up 15 ping. Latley we have been haveing problems with the laptop being able to stream anything, same with my phone. Right now while im tyoeing ifs laging like a son of a bitch lol. So i did a test sitting in my kitchen, 15' through some walls, just tested my phone and got .25 down .10 up with a 25 ping. Shits starting to get on my nerves! Anyway if any of that can help you help me that would be great, ill be on tonight around 9 if you just want to talk about it then. Thanks...oh amd im gonna take my crown back !
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:54 am

sorry i didnt make it on last night - felt like shit and went to bed early

i guess my first question to you is - has ANYTHING changed? any new devices in the house? did you move the wifi router? etc.

where is the router located - is it centrally located in the house or off to one end? are there any appliances nearby like a microwave?

what brand / model router is it?

regarding the crown - you know my motto "nut up or shut up" lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 8:03 am

DELTAxDOG, check out the power adapter. A few routers have a reputation for them failing and the symptoms can be subtle.
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 8:48 am

The router is in the same place it always has been. The big diffrence is that insted of a desktop i have the xbox hooked up to it. Also there is now a mini fridge in my game room where the router is. So its in the same area, just now i got that fridge in there. The room is in an end of my house kinda. My house is small (1200sq ft) so it shouldnt have a problem getting the signal out to every room. Dont know the model # bu i will get it later. Its a Netgear router.

Thanks for the help bro.... nut up or shut up, where did you steal that line from lol
Back to top Go down
ImGoodIfYouSuck

ImGoodIfYouSuck

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:15 am

FiOS FTW!!!
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

Dd you notice the issue right after putting the fridge in there? If so take it out temporarily and test again. Anything metal nearby or in the same room will bounce signal around. If its on the same circuit (since its somewhat of a large draw appliance) that could even cause issues.

my motto - Zombieland bro cmon

https://youtu.be/M94v3OEu4gY
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:24 pm

BlackDeath wrote:
Dd you notice the issue right after putting the fridge in there? If so take it out temporarily and test again. Anything metal nearby or in the same room will bounce signal around. If its on the same circuit (since its somewhat of a large draw appliance) that could even cause issues.

my motto - Zombieland bro cmon

https://youtu.be/M94v3OEu4gY

That fridge is not metal lol... The 750lb gun safe in there on the other hand is, woth the power draw that makes sense. Not much can be done about that stuff so i guess ill just live with it. Thanks for the help J, your the Man!
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Yea ive never played zombieland, played BLOPS zombies last night though, made it 29 rounds solo. I had to kill myself damn it! At 2am when you got to be at work at 7:30 you know its time lol I bet 40 rounds could have been posable if not. Well ill check out that link and the one for the fire works you sent me right now since i got some time.
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow i feel like a complet dumb fuck! If i didnt care about my post that last one would be gone LOL

Yea i got ya on the nut up or shut up, i knew somewhere ive heard that before. Ive seen that damn move at least 20 times!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:43 am

Okay guys i got a ps3, I have a the best cable internet you can buy, I have an upgraded roadrunner lighting server in my house that my wife's company buys , my ps3 stated it gets 50 down and 12 up
Lately I have been kicked out mid game, about two a night. I have have tried wireless and hard wireing, no differance . In just started 2 weeks ago. Is this a mw3 issue or me..any suggestions
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:07 am

Zombie, are you getting the "host lost connection" error? If so, weve all been seeing that a ton in the apst two weeks. I dont think its specific to you.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 11:40 am

zombie are you partied up or playing solo? if in a party - nothing you can do - anyone in your party could have lost connection to host and the whole party suffers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Yeah I am aways partied up. It is just happening a lot. Somes tim
es I am the first one out. So I know it is me
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:38 am

It could be your connection to IWs servers. The servers suck, and it could happen even a couple times a night. you could let your ISP know though, they may need to check your line
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:57 pm

DELTAxDOG wrote:
Hey J, im haveing some isues with my wifi. The signal has gone to shit and i have no clue why? I did some test from my phone off of speed tests app back 2 months ago amd i was getting 5 down 1 up 25 ping from any room in the house. When i would walk up to the router i was getting 18down 1 up 15 ping. Latley we have been haveing problems with the laptop being able to stream anything, same with my phone. Right now while im tyoeing ifs laging like a son of a bitch lol. So i did a test sitting in my kitchen, 15' through some walls, just tested my phone and got .25 down .10 up with a 25 ping. Shits starting to get on my nerves! Anyway if any of that can help you help me that would be great, ill be on tonight around 9 if you just want to talk about it then. Thanks...oh amd im gonna take my crown back !

Routers tend to crap out after awhile of being on all the time. Usually a reboot is required and that will fix the problem. Mine does that sometimes. I reset the router and everything is good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ultimate Network / Router Thread   The Ultimate Network / Router Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate Network / Router Thread
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next