Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Connection problems Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Connection problems Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Connection problems Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Connection problems Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Connection problems Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Connection problems Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Connection problems

Go down 
+2
Severed Digits
Winners
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Connection problems Empty
PostSubject: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 am

So I'm set up on a wireless router, I've had NO problems for the last year+.

I moved the router from a main floor bedroom to an upstairs bedroom.

The location of the router is now CLOSER to the PS3, but it is overhead instead of being on the same floor. Does this make a difference with connectivity?

Ex: I start game, 4 bars. A few minutes in, 1bar. 30 sec. later, 3 bars. Than 1 bar again.
Back and forth, over and over.

I've reset the router, turned off all other internet connected devices and kicked everyone out of the house (not really, but wishful thinking....)

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 am

I would venture to guess that because the PS3 is now having to receive the signal thru a solid surface, that is causing the problem. There are all sorts of things that can interfere with the quality of that signal, and it seems like the new location is to blame.

If at all possible, try to hardwire the PS3 and run the computers off the wifi as they will not cause you as much stress should the signal fluctuate. I set up my router in the cabinet where my ps3 is, so it is hardwired. My computers and ipads all run wirelessly of of that router with no trouble whatsoever.. Plus, since the router is on my first floor, the signal covers the second floor and basement.

Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

When the ps3 is on check and see what kind of signal strength the ps3 is getting under the wireless connection settings. (Settings>Network Settings>Connection Status) If the signal strength is at 100% you may just need to port forward or set up dmz (DMZ Mode is putting your router or other networking device into a demilitarized zone.) for your ps3. Which would also assign your ps3 a static ip. If you want to try this let me know and I will find some tutorials for it. Also what kind of router do you have.
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I was thinking of hardwiring the PS3 but that would take a bit of rearranging that my wife prolly wouldn't go for.

I'm not sure of the router model, its whatever Verizon gives out. You think a premium brand router would provide a stronger signal?

I'll check the connection strength tonight.
Back to top Go down
Severed Digits

Severed Digits

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 26

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Missler and FBD are both correct. I have nothing new to add to this conversation, but I do agree very much. Where are the rep buttons? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Socom3D34D

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Gambootz wrote:
I was thinking of hardwiring the PS3 but that would take a bit of rearranging that my wife prolly wouldn't go for.

I'm not sure of the router model, its whatever Verizon gives out. You think a premium brand router would provide a stronger signal?

I'll check the connection strength tonight.

The mrs won't have a clue. Her computer will work the same and your beloved PS3 will be vastly improved. Winning!
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 65

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm

FBD: i did what your sugesting to my xbox, but couldnt connect to the internet after i did it. I know it may be difrent but could you explain more please?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm

You hardwired it to your router? Just run your internet connection settings from the menu and it should auto detect the connection. If not, do a manual set up and select "wired" if it gives you the option. I don't have an xbox, but it was pretty intuitive on the PS3.
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 pm

FBD wrote:
You hardwired it to your router? Just run your internet connection settings from the menu and it should auto detect the connection. If not, do a manual set up and select "wired" if it gives you the option. I don't have an xbox, but it was pretty intuitive on the PS3.

What i did was connect my cable to my modem then the ethernet cable to the xbox... that works. So then i tried to put the wifi router between the two just like i would to my pc anf it wouldnt connect to the internet. Im not a tech and a lot of this is new to me but i figured this should work. When it didnt i just thought i must have assumed rong but since you have yours set up this way im thinking mabey its just something i did rong? Who the hell knows,i will just give it another shot. Thanks for your help anyway!
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Delta it works you probably need to reset to default in the setup menu go to advanced and reset to default.

For wired it should auto detect if you dont want to customize the connection wiht static IP and open ports.

For wireless just reset to default and rescan and it should connect.

As far as setup
Cable to the modem
Ethernet to the router.
Ethernet from router to xbox if you want to go wired.

Connection problems Fc5c8bc0ed

then
Connection problems 69c0c65843
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I just the other day did the port fowarding shit and changed my WAN setting from 1500 to 1475... not sure what all that does but i was advised to do so... thanks for the pics and stuff Scott! Like i said ill give it another try and see how it gos... what i was trying to do is run my pc off of wifi and not the xbox like FBD. Oh one other thing, my home phone runs off the modem, will this cause any problems?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 4:21 pm

All of my computers at home are Apple, so they all have built in wifi...I know all laptops have it, but I'm unsure about desktop PCs.
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 pm

No I had that at one time. Does your desktop have built in wifi? If not you may need to add a wifi card or usb wifi to your desktop.

You can get one a walmart for like $15.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-F5D7050-Wireless-G-54Mbps-USB-Network-Adapter/3756936?prs=true
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 pm

So not really sure what's going on.
I have 100% signal strength and the internet connectivity test is OK, speed comes out at 10 down and 2 up.

The laptop has good signal and speed and right now have my cell on WiFi replying on the boards, yet PS3 seems to be erratic.

Will try again tonight and see how the connection is.
Back to top Go down
Doamne01

Doamne01

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 67

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah, the PS3 doesn't play well with wifi. Wifi in general has consistency issues that you don't typically see when online with a computer, but are evident with online gaming.

I have a nice Netgear router that gives me 20+ down and 9 up in my garage (on the other side of the house from the router), but I can't use my PS3 in my bedroom because of the inconsistency issues. It sucks because I end up playing on a 65" DLP rather than my 46" LCD, which is a lot easier to spot campers on. The wiring in my house doesn't allow for a powerline adapter either.

Last edited by Doamne01 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 21

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 am

Ok, first of all, delta, reset your router to factory defaults. for some reason when you move your router the xbox does not like to play well with it. change your xbox to default and pick wired. be sure that wireless is not chosen or you will have one hell of a time getting it off wireless. that should fix your issue. As for your issue gambootz, where is your router? what is it by? Do you have a wireless phone near it? A microwave? what exactly is NEAR the router?
Back to top Go down
DELTAxDOG

DELTAxDOG

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 am

Thank you pariah!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:55 pm

pariah_81 wrote:
As for your issue gambootz, where is your router? what is it by? Do you have a wireless phone near it? A microwave? what exactly is NEAR the router?

The router is in a 2nd floor bedroom, bottom shelf of the computer desk. No phones or anything unusual near it. Just the PC, monitor, keyboard, etc...

The PS3 is in Living Room, directly below the bedroom. Actually the PS is almost exactly directly below the router.

The strange thing that gets me is this: Last night was online for about 2 hours, maybe 8 or 9 matches.

Only twice the connection was lousy. Each time lasting 3-5 min. of 1 bar,3 bar,1 bar...bouncing around.

The router is a Lynksys, maybe an older model, 2 years maybe.

You think a bigger and better router may clear it up?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 pm

May be a DUMB question, but when your connection went to hell, was the wife watching Netflix or something online?

I used to be wireless in the Blops days and whenever she was catching up Dexter on Netflix, by connection went from 4 to 1 red and I was effed. Perhaps the problem is that simple, in which case you can give your xbox preference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Simple things like someone using a cordless phone or firing up a microwave can interfere with your wireless signal as well. Like FBD said you could set up your router to give your xbox the highest priority. It would be found under QoS in your router settings. I have it on for mine as my neighbor plays wireless off my connection and havent had any issues since i turned the QoS on. I tried for shits and giggles to run my ps3 wireless for 2 days and it gave me much slower speeds. I had mine similar as my router was upstairs directly above my living room and i had 100% signal strength but the wireless capabilties of the ps3 are junk bascially. It only works in wireless g mode and nowadays most routers are faster with wireless n or n+. Wireless i could only get 15-17 mpbs down 3 up and wired im always around 30 down and 4 up which my plan is. This is using the speakeasy.org speedtest as well since the ps3 test is garbage and unreliable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Hmmmmmmmm.....................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

I can say certainly that there was no other devices running on wireless signal. It was past midnight and everyone in the house was asleep.

Just to be sure I shut off the PC and laptop (I had found a virus scan running at 2AM that sent my connection to hell), so I'm familiar with that.

Basic problem here is inconsistent wireless connection. I had the router in a main floor room for years...no problem.

I move it upstairs and now signal becomes erratic at times. Thats why I thought maybe a better/newer router may help.

Nixon (or anyone else) explain a little more about setting priority on the router? I only care about PS3. Xbox is in my son's room, but he's not online much (7 years old)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm

When the dishwasher starts my wireless connection is worse. I am not joking. I think the motor has something to do with it. Washer straight line between me and the router...

Also the dishwasher is a fucking camper, which pisses me off as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Motor circuits cause all kinds of noise not only on the household circuits but the electrical system itself. Bathroom fans, fridges and washers are all usually run on individual circuits to avoid lights dimming when they kick in.
Where I work they have huge generators running in sync/condense mode trying to mop up after all the industrial motor loads in the area.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Gambootz wrote:
I can say certainly that there was no other devices running on wireless signal. It was past midnight and everyone in the house was asleep.

Just to be sure I shut off the PC and laptop (I had found a virus scan running at 2AM that sent my connection to hell), so I'm familiar with that.

Basic problem here is inconsistent wireless connection. I had the router in a main floor room for years...no problem.

I move it upstairs and now signal becomes erratic at times. Thats why I thought maybe a better/newer router may help.

Nixon (or anyone else) explain a little more about setting priority on the router? I only care about PS3. Xbox is in my son's room, but he's not online much (7 years old)

A higher end router would definitely make a difference. They have a much better range and have less problems going through walls and such. I live in a side by side 2 family house and my neighbor uses my connection for his ps3. His ps3 is maybe 30 feet from my router on the same level but the signal has to go through a solid brick firewall and his signal never drops from 100%. I have the Netgear WNDR3700 and quite a few other on here use it as well. Its not the newest model Netgear makes but its widely known as still one of the best on the market. Ive seen them run around $89-99 and its relatively easy to setup. As for QoS not all routers have it though. If it does it should be right in the settings for the router you have. Mine gives you the option of turning it on for either a MAC address(every device no matter if its a ps3/xbox or pc has its own address) or a certain LAN/ethernet port on the back of the router. If you get into the QoS settings and have each device turned on it will list each device using the router and its MAC address and from there gives you the option of changing the priority of bandwith going to each MAC address attached or what # LAN port you want to use. It starts at lowest to normal to high then highest priority. I simply gave my ps3 the highest and everything else the lowest to ensure when im playing i get the majority of the bandwith.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Connection problems   Connection problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Connection problems
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next