Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Need help with connection

Go down 
+7
mspiderw
pariah_81
ninjesmurf
Winners
Doamne01
BlackDeath
Danoma08
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Danoma08

Need help with connection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 pm

I think it's a bit much for what I need. It seems like a good deal but looks super complicated.
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 11:05 pm

LOL you get what you pay for. The router is plug and play basically but it has all the configuration settings like QOS, port forward, dmz and what not. Not to mention being dual channel with 2.4 and 5ghz.
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
Danoma08

Danoma08

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 7

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 12:06 am

I'll take it.
Back to top Go down
Danoma08

Danoma08

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 4:50 pm

If I have two routers can I connect one to the other? I want to be able to access online with my cable box, but I can only pug in an Ethernet. Can I plug my cable box into 1 router and have it connect to my main router (wirelessly)?
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 21

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm

it depends on what kind of firmware you are running and what kind of routers you have. in order to do what you are wanting to do, you will have to make a wireless bridge, this will take a lot of messing around, and you could brick it if you are not careful, but you will have to flash a firmware on it most likely. a good site to do some research is dd-wrt.com
Back to top Go down
mspiderw

mspiderw

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:35 pm

I definitely am no computer guru. I use to use Linksys WRT54GS. It worked fine until the kids started playing on there computers. I finally upgraded my router to a Linksys E4200, which is hard wired with a 50 ft. cable.
Back to top Go down
miggilly

miggilly

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 5

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 am

I probably should start a new thread but thought I would tag onto this one. I too have a playable game and am searching for ways to optimize. I know many say if it aint broke dont fix it, but that is not in my nature. I can't resist tweeking the connection for any advantage.

Side note, just got rid of TWC and am now using U-verse.

I use the ATt Router NVG510,wireless disabled because I plug my D-link DIR-655 into this.

I also use a N gaming bridge (linksys,cisco WET-610N) to connect my PS3.

I was curious, what is the optimum setup with a wireless n bridge?

On a side not, after running benchmark to find optimal DNS servers, said I was using my D-Link for a server...and did not recommend this? Although it did say it was operating at optimal level. Should I worry about this? Maybe utiilize my att router for more than just a middleman to the d-link?

I also have no clue how to post my speed results...but I have been getting on my laptop approx 16 down .9 up O% packet loss 22 latency 1 ms Jitter 4.39 MOS

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 2:01 pm

miggilly thats a typical dns message your router is essentially your first dns host - it resolves names on your internal network and those it can't understand then forwards them onto your ISP's (the ones you really want to test against and potentially change with any faster ones listed in the results of the benchmark utility).

regarding your bridge and based on the numbers you threw out you're really splitting hairs the biggest (albeit miniscule) difference you'll see is to dump wireless and go wired to the console - even then we're only talking a few ms

check the logs of your wireless router / bridge and see how many packets it drops (wirelessly not on the WAN) I'd only make a change if they were excessive e.g. 1000's a week
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
miggilly

miggilly

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks. Will do. Been messing with it all morning. I will probably just leave it as is.
Back to top Go down
miggilly

miggilly

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Few more questions,

Ran benchmark, the long version. It came back with my router as the fastest DNS . Do I still type this into my router's DNS or should I use the two below it? And if I change the DNS in my router, should I still change the DNS on the Ps3?

DMZ? If I use a bridge, Do I put the bridge in the DMZ or do I just follow the regular DMZ instructions for the PS3 on the other thread?

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
BlackDeath

BlackDeath

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 180

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm

your router is going to show up the fastest because its on the same network as you

you want to look for the fastest dns server / host thats resolving internet names or addresses

if your router has hard set values currently you'll want to write those down just in case when/if you decide to update them

the many times ive run that tool ive seen level 3 communications dns' to be the fastest 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.5

i would recommend against putting a bridge or any other wireless access point in the dmz - you want to just place the ps3 in there
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/axblackdeathxa
miggilly

miggilly

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Well...I am having trouble with my nat showing moderate on Blops2. Awgh! Gonna sleep on it and try to figure out what the hell I screwed up by messing with it.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Ok, hang on...you are doing too much to do any good at this point. First of all, your DNS will be the best from your router because it is the first point of contact. However, your ISP will handle your DNS needs for most things, and most likely be the fastest since it is the closest. It could be Level 3, considering they handle most of the large national circuits going to and from (TWC is the second one).

For some reason, if you do not have plug and play enabled, you get a moderate setting. A lot of the time, this just means you can't host games, or parties (if you are xbox). DMZ means this ps3 is placed outside of your zone and has no firewall restrictions. however, you are still using NAT for it to get out into the internet, and restricting nothing. it just hurts your security in the long run especially if you put a credit card out there on your ps3 you have a higher chance for DDOS and man in the middle attacks which could definitely affect your playing.

You also have to be wary of WHEN you are playing. you are now on DSL lines, this means the more people that log onto the internet in your area that is on that fiber, the less bandwidth you have to utilize. For instance, if you are in an appartment complex, they could have an OC12 which comes out to 655mb per second, everyone in that whole apartment complex gets a piece of it. so everyone has a "guaranteed 10mb or whatever it is, then only 650 people can be on that at one time and receive the right amount. Now I don't know about you, but apartment complexes have more than that. This directly cuts into your down/up speed at that point. If you get on on prime times, you could be seeing a much slower speed than you were say at 3am.

There is also the fact that if you are sharing your bandwidth with people in your house, you could be lowest on the QoS. Gaming runs under the UDP protocol which is generally the lowest priority in networking.

Lastly, if you dont know where you messed up, you can always reset and retrace your steps. If you need help let me know Ill be happy to help you.
Back to top Go down
brninitdwn

brninitdwn

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 2

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 pm

I usually run my PS3 with the DMZ and uPnP disabled, but you can still port forward 3074 to your PS3 set with a static IP address and get an open NAT that way. But if your settings are right and you have a moderate NAT the router may just need a reboot.

Since I missed the start of this thread.....I use 2 Linksys WRT54G routers with DD-WRT firmware, one as router and the other as a repeater bridge to get from one side of the house to another and hook the wired pc up, plus they have the ability to adjust the power output and they still get pretty good throughput so that may have been a good solution, what did you end up doing Danoma?
Back to top Go down
http://www.expertpcnc.com https://www.youtube.com/user/brninitdwn
miggilly

miggilly

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks everyone for the help. I fixed it by utilizing the att router/modem. The D-link I was using must have been bad. I was losing thousands of packets wirelessly in less than a day. I have been checking my speeds and seem to stay consistent. I live directly across the street from the att building. Now the only thing left to do is QoS and maybe what they call passthrough which I believe is DMZ.

ON a side note, How long should we expect our routers to last?

Year? 2 Year?My D-Link was 3 years old

Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:34 pm

home routers can go from 1-2 years to 10 years lol it all depends. its just like with enterprise routers. things die from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Danoma08

Danoma08

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 4:48 pm

I need help... AGAIN!!!  Lately my internet is extremely slow(like I can't even watch youtube without it acting up)  I checked my speeds and the latest test has my download speed at 7mps and my upload speed at ... wait for it... .038!  I know right?!?!  I reset my router and my modem still no improvement.  At this point I don't know what to do.  I think there are constant interuptions (about every 7-11 seconds)  my smart tv keeps giving me messages that somethings wrong (to the point where it's unusable ; ; ) Should I call cox and tell them to fix their shit or is it something on my end?  I just got this router in March and it was downloading 28+ mps and uploading 20+ mps.  I'm not sure exactly what has changed in 3 months.
Back to top Go down
Danoma08

Danoma08

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 5:01 pm

I don't get it... all the sudden it's working perfectly now...and i'm getting 20 download and 18 upload
Back to top Go down
Doamne01

Doamne01

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 67

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Hey Dano, sounds like it's probably either at the source (internet provider) or the cabling. If cables get crimped or just get exposed you can definitely have those same issues.
Back to top Go down
Winners

Winners

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 80

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Ya it was probably an issue with your ISP. If it happens again call them and tell them the issue and speeds your getting. Happens with comcast from time to time and they usually fix it within a day or so.
Back to top Go down
http://over30clan.com https://www.youtube.com/user/WinnersGT
pariah_81

pariah_81

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I recently had network issues as well.  My problem was I was timing out to my ISP DNS servers.  On top of that,  these DNS servers were actually giving me more latency overall.  I would suggest changing your DNS servers to say googles (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) to see if this helps your internet.  Remember dropping packets gives you very slow internet.
Back to top Go down
Criptic Wolf

Criptic Wolf

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 33

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:27 am

I've been having problems with my ISP this weekend too.  I'll do several speed tests and it will get 30 down one test and .8 the next!!  My up speed has stayed totally consistent though, just the down going haywire.  Hope they get it settled out soon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/thecripticwolf
TripleAce Andy

TripleAce Andy

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 23

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 am

They must be moving the prism boxes around at big internet, causing slight disturbances in the matrix.

Dano, you mentioned your SmartTV.. one thing that came to mind was a smart Sony receiver I bought a while ago that had ethernet for Pandora and other stuff.. when I connected it to my network it disrupted Xbox to PC communication. Smart devices may not play nice with consoles and PC networks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tripleaceandy
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with connection   Need help with connection - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with connection
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2