Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Broken Headset Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Broken Headset

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 am

Great timing.

I have been treating my PX21's with kid gloves since I could see there is a huge weak spot at the swivels. Well, while adjusting my seating position I caught the cord and snapped the left side right off. Didn't seem like I even pulled them that hard...

I now see what Cerebus loves his Yoga Bands to keep the head phones on.

Gluing with Gorilla Glue tonight to see if it will hold. I have my doubts since there is lateral force on the break in the form of the tension that holds the head set to your head.

I still have the original package. I hope i still have the receipt...

I don't want to shell out the cast for the PS3 headset, but looks like I may have to if this does not go down well.

Has anyone successfully repaired them? seems like there could be a fix with some creative drilling and the proper fastener from Home Depot...
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:59 am

Yeah, PX21's are delicate. My first pair broke at the cord. Here's what I would do.
By another pair, put broken pair in new package, return broken pair. One good thing about those impossible to open vacuum packages is that they hold broken things in place and make greasy headsets look shiny and new!
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:10 am

audiopile wrote:
Yeah, PX21's are delicate. My first pair broke at the cord. Here's what I would do.
By another pair, put broken pair in new package, return broken pair. One good thing about those impossible to open vacuum packages is that they hold broken things in place and make greasy headsets look shiny and new!

This is good advice on how to get around the 6 mo warranty (at least I think it is 6mo? FBD, you messed up three pairs... remind me again)

No more of this model headset. I was not rough with them, I did not mistreat them. Sound quality was fine for me. Construction is garbage.

I am going to try this. Not pretty, but this is what I had in mind on how to fix it. YouTube: You are like magic.

Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:44 am

Finally a vid-blog by Winicott! Shocked Please make the next one about building a robot that does my dishes.
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 am

Ruined mine this past week too. Although mine are due to my kitchen dishwasher water supply rupturing and flooding my kitchen and basement. Game room was right below and the Turtle Beach set was laying on the carpet and got rained on. Still work if I don't mine the odd electrical shock cherry
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:17 pm

I think the video has it right. the only way to repair that kind of break is with a splint of some kind and even that won't hold the greatest, but it will work. After placing the splint I would recommend melting the plastic back together with a soldering iron (plastic welding). It will increase the strength a bit more. Not sure what kind of plastic the TB uses for the headset, but it is worth a try.
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:09 pm

If you go to your local motor factors you can buy a type of resin/glue. It comes in a twin tube that when mixes together forms a very strong seal. We use it for repairing broken headlight brackets.

I will post the name of it tomorow.
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:40 pm

^.. 2 part epoxy resins. There are many different brands available. JB Weld is the most popular over here.

Grind a few retention grooves in each side and it will improve adhesion.
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:36 pm

LOL, this is not me in the vid. Gorilla Glue last night. Seems to have held this morning. Will try tonight.
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:10 am

Gorilla Glue held last night.

Almost sad it did. First thing wife said was "Sorry that broke. Do you need to get another one?"
Apparently I had an open invite to replace it. Gah!
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:36 am

Now, did you gorilla glue it and immediately try them on? That could result in a painful removal process. Very Happy It sounds like you still have an open invite to replace them. Again, simply let Winicott Jr. play with them when he is on. Guaranteed to go caput in short order. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 am

Yes, I have broken 3 PX21s. I did the Gorilla glue fix and it held, but it essentially eliminates the swivel function and looks like shit. I returned a my first set (with glue) for a new pair. I did have the receipt and packaging.

Second pair snapped in the exact same spot within 3 weeks and I returned them for another pair. Third pair lasted about 3 months, and you guessed it, snapped at the swivel. TB warranty is one year and GameStop never gave me a hard time. Once I got the new set I exchanged them for a pair of Tritton AX720s becasue they are built WAY better. The big problem for me and most Turtle Beach users is that no other manufacturer offers mic monitoring. I loved the fit and sound of the Trittons but the mic monitoring is a deal breaker for me. Tried the PS3 Wireless and loved not being tethered but again, no mic monitoring.

Went back to TB DPX21s and liked the sound, but the headset is EXACTLY the same as the PX21s. Only difference is true surround vs. amplified stereo. I knew it would be a matter of time before they broke at the swivel, so I took them back for the TB PX5s. Bit pricey, but I get all the things I need: Durability (totally different and far superior design to the PX21s), Sound quality, Mic Monitoring, and Wireless.

The PX21s are really good sounding headsets and relatively inexpensive, but it is only a matter of time before that cheap Chinese balsa wood swivel joint snaps. And, once it snaps, they are unwearable until the glue dries.

Long post, but hopefully some of you gain some knowledge thru my ordeals.

Important rule when buying headsets: Save the box and receipt and don't be afraid to return them!
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 am

/knock on wood....

My DPX-21's have survived a year. And I play almost every evening.
Back to top Go down

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 am

Mine didn't break either but I knew they would eventually, so I decided to do a preemptive strike and get the PX5s. Wireless was really appealing to me with kids and dogs running and tripping on the cord constantly.

Maybe you got a better batch of Chinese Eggshells in your swivel joint! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Broken Headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broken Headset   Broken Headset Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken Headset
Page 1 of 1