Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Empty
PostSubject: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 3:54 pm

I just got some bad news from the doc that my cholesterol is way too high. He wants me to go on Lipitor. I'm only 37, 6'4" and just 205, but both my parents have high BP/cholesterol and are on Lipitor/Crestor. (FU mom and dad! Razz )

So I've cut a deal with the doc that I will do my best with diet and exercise for 90 days, redraw the blood, and see how it looks.

So my question is, are any of you in the same boat? If so, any meals you like eating that are low in cholesterol? I'm already tired of oatmeal and fish. Just not filling to me. I'm half Italian and gotta have my pasta. Whole wheat pasta tastes like the box to me, so that's not a popular option.

Look forward to your help.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

High cholesterol isn't the best key indicator of stroke or heart attack. In fact, there are a lot of people who have heart attacks and strokes who have low cholesterol numbers. What you need to do is avoid inflammation. Fuck statin drugs... so much BS from big pharma.

To do this, you need to avoid the processed food, and eat real whole foods. I'd cut out breads and pasta (sucks being half Italian). Whole wheat bread won't do shit for your cholesterol. Your diet does not have to be boring, but you will have more work in cooking your food. Avoid everything located in the middle of the supermarket, and stick to the outside. No more processed meats, but lean cuts of steak, and pork are still good. Of course chicken and fish are on the menu. Eat lots of veggies and fruits, but keep the sugary fruits like bananas and peaches to a minimum. Strawberries are packed with fiber and are surprisingly low in sugar.

Another big thing is to start moving more. I like to do kettlebell exercises because they're good for building strength, and getting a good cardio workout. If this is something you're interested in, let me know. I know of some really good workouts. If not, get into running, hiking, whatever... just something to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes, and at least 3 times a week. Doesn't take THAT much time. My son has ADHD, and I have to spend hours with him doing homework at night. Even then, I still have 30 minutes to escape to the garage to do some quick interval training. A gymboss, ipod, and my x-mini speaker is all I need. If you don't want to buy an interval timer, find a tabata timer on android or apple app store.

Again, if you want a good sample workout suggestion, let me know.

Edit: I'd also like to add... just losing weight alone will get you better numbers. If you smoke, quit. Smoking increases inflammation.

Last edited by LOCKEdnLOADed22 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:20 pm

To add to what LL22 said, there is a lot of new Medical research that suggests that our current understanding of cholesterol is flawed. The magic number of total cholesterol over 200 is proving wrong and more and more cardiologists are basing the risk factors on the ratio of HDL to LDL and not the set total numbers. If the numbers are in a good balance and proper ratio an individual with over 200 total cholesterol will have a lower risk of heart attack stroke than someone who has a low total cholesterol but has poor balance and inflammation. I attended a CME round table course of nuerologists, cardiologists, sleep medicine, and oral surgeons a few months ago on this very subject and I wish to hell I had the papework with me. I hate talking from memory on this stuff and prefer to have hard evidence to back up my claims with. I will look for it. High blood pressure should be controlled through exercise, diet, and if necessary medications.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Bummer man...but good call on not going on the meds right away...see if you can control it naturally...I've heard that a lot of people start going on the meds and never really get off of them.

I haven't personally dealt with this, but my 65 year old uncle has been recently...he made a big impact by starting a daily exercise routine (usually just long walks) and watching his diet. Aerobic exercise will help a lot.

I don't have any great diet advice, even though you're sick of the oatmeal I would try to keep it in the diet...having some most days as part of your breakfast should help. Try to concentrate on adding fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet. A lot of people focus so much on what they have to take out of their diet...but by adding fruits and veggies you can make a big impact. Ideally pasta shouldn't have a major impact on this stuff...it's just what you eat with it...if you're eating a big ass fried piece of veal parmigiana (my favorite) with it that's bad...but topping it with grilled chicken and red sauce should be okay. Eating nuts, I have a particular affection for almonds is another nice addition to the diet. They provide healthier fats and lots of protein to help you feel/stay fuller longer. If you don't already, look to add beans to some of the things you cook. Subtle changes can go a long way...for example when you make a batch of chili make it with half the hamburger you usually do and twice as many beans...

I have a chicken pasta recipe around that's pretty healthy and tasty at the same time...I will dig it up when I get home...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Gotta be brief:

I'm 1/2 Italian as well and my wife cooks like Giada de Laurentiis. Was on Liptor for about 90 days and it made my joints hurt so bad, I told my doc I wouldn't take it anymore.

Through diet and exercise (P90x + hiking, less refined foods/sugars/pastas/breads) I was able to drop my cholesterol down into normal range and get a sub 120/80 BP.

Avoid the statins if at all possible and control it with diet and exercise. I'm currently reading as much as I can about diet and watching everything from Fathead (pro-paelo/meat/fat diet) to Forks over Knives (pro-macobiotic/vegetarian).

In the end, I think body chemistry and processes are more complicated than some give it credit, but it's hard to go wrong with more green veggies, solid sources of protein (like meat), less bread and processed foods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:06 pm

here's that recipe...pretty solid:

2 oz Barilla Plus penne pasta (i'm sure you can used regular pasta if you really can't stand the whole wheat stuff...I've actually read a few articles recently that say the difference is a little overrated...but who knows for certain?)
2 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
Salt and pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed
2 Tbsp diced roasted red pepper
4 cups baby spinach leaves
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is boiling, season the chicken on each side with a pinch of salt and pepper, and sear it in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes a side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.

2. Add the oil, garlic, rose-mary, beans, red pepper, and spinach to the skillet. Cook, turning frequently, until the spinach wilts (1 to 2 minutes).

3. Slice the chicken and drain the pasta; toss them with the bean mixture. Spoon the pasta into two bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan. Makes 2 servings

Per serving: 412 calories, 42 g protein, 45 g carbs, 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 9 g fiber, 423 mg sodium

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Crestor and Benicar. That's what I take.

Seriously, if you do have to take meds for it I highly suggest these two. I have been taking the for a while and haven't had ANY side effects with them. Very clean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks guys-

Just spent half an hour on the phone with Nathan and now I'm pretty confident that my obstructive sleep apnea is the cause of much of this malarkey.

I'm scheduling the tonsillectomy for starters. I'll definitely take into consideration all of your advice too.

There are some really good people in this clan, and for that I'm very thankful. The word clan should really be stricken from the records...this is a community.

N8- Big props brother...I owe you a case of your favorite beverage or a gift card to the gun shop at the very least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 pm

FBD wrote:

I'm scheduling the tonsillectomy for starters. I'll definitely take into consideration all of your advice too.

From what I have been told there is a new method that involves using a laser and no stiches, which makes for a MUCH shorter recovery time. You might check into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:44 pm

SoonerChris wrote:
FBD wrote:

From what I have been told there is a new method that involves using a laser and no stiches, which makes for a MUCH shorter recovery time. You might check into it.

This is true. I had a tonsil and adnoidectomy via this method and recovery time was minimal.

Have you had a sleep study done??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:45 pm

FBD wrote:
Thanks guys-

Just spent half an hour on the phone with Nathan and now I'm pretty confident that my obstructive sleep apnea is the cause of much of this malarkey.

There are some really good people in this clan, and for that I'm very thankful. The word clan should really be stricken from the records...this is a community.

N8- Big props brother...I owe you a case of your favorite beverage or a gift card to the gun shop at the very least.

Sounds like N8 has been spending time at the LVI Global conferences...
edit: N8, dont drink the kool-aid!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:48 pm

MiiisterAnderson wrote:
SoonerChris wrote:
FBD wrote:

This is true. I had a tonsil and adnoidectomy via this method and recovery time was minimal.

Have you had a sleep study done??

Yes. twice. The CPAP doesn't work for me...can't wear it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Well, according to the box, eat Cheerios for breakfast & oatmeal.

My wife had some slightly elevated cholesterol and the doc suggested she start with some omega 3 fatty acids capsules and exercise. The O3FAs are also good for joint, kidney, and brain health. She felt more energy after taking them as well.

Good luck in your endeavors!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 6:58 pm

obxj wrote:

Sounds like N8 has been spending time at the LVI Global conferences...
edit: N8, dont drink the kool-aid!!

That is funny OB. I can't stand the philosphies of LVI and feel most of their "science" is based on quackery and not good evidence based dentistry. Those fucks are more interested in trying to learn how to milk their patients of their kids college savings than helping fix anyones problems. (Generalization I know, I am sure somewhere out in Eternia there is a LVI trained dentist that is a good soul) Anytime I go to a conference and take courses and I hear the speaker say, "I learned this from LVI" I just get up and leave. Its not worth the aggrevation. I hope you are just joking and giving me a hard time, because otherwise I would be gravely insulted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 am

Just started taking Statin drug and Losinipril about 2 weeks ago. Now that you mention it Anderson my knees hurt. I thought it was from running... BP was hovering around 150/100. Knew I was not doing shit about it so I just started taking the drugs.

Just started running last week. Up to 2 miles a night now with one day a week off. Looking for a race to train for. Workout takes 20 and warm up and cool down makes it 30. Hope to add another mile here in the next week so I can make it a full 30 minutes of running (yes I am slow right now). Thinking about getting a kettlebell. Buddy has one and loves it. Helps with his back (which mine sucks) and his shoulder.

I feel damn good after running. Cant wait to get in better shape. Start now so you can get those numbers down. I hope to be off the stuff at some point. At least the Statin. High BP runs in the family. Gma took her meds and exercised and made it to 84 and died of cancer. So I have that going for me.

Buddy of mine had problems with CPAP as well. He had probs with his Turbines (sp?). They are some tissue in nasal passage that helps filter out all the shit. His would get inflamed when he laid down. Had some laser surgery to remove the excess and now he does fine. I love my CPAP and cant sleep when I don't have it.

Oh yeah, have you tried to quit the cocaine yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 am

Another major issue is the damage you can do to your heart and coronary vessels in your 20s, though stress/unhealthy diet and of course genetics plays a part. Some people are more prone to developing plaques in their arteries which make them more likely to bulge/develop an aneurysm or shear from the increased pressure and how hard the heart has to work to continue to pump blood to your tissues.

Biggest advice:
1) Read labels. Ideally you shouldn't be eating a ton of food that comes in boxes with some exceptions.
2) Try to monitor your sodium intake, it helps if you do this in the grocery store. When you see something is a small portion/low calorie like say a can of soup but has 800 mg of sodium in it, but less than 300 total calories, that's not a good thing to be eating. We need some sodium in our diets, usually 1500-2500 mg daily depending on your build & activity level.
3) Lose weight and increase the amount of exercise you're getting.
4) If you smoke, cut back or better yet, stop.
5) Get enough sleep every night. "Enough" is kind of a vague term, but you usually know if you're sleep deprived.
6) Cut back on caffeine - try to limit it to 4 cups a coffee per day max. Interestingly, people that are chronic caffeine abusers can have quite a high tolerance to it, i.e. some people are more susceptible-they'll drink a cup of coffee rarely, and when they do, their systolic BP can raise by 5 points or so just from the caffeine alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 am

Winicott1001 wrote:

The white dragon is a tough one to slay...I'm down to an 8-ball every other week now, so at least there's progress...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 am

FBD wrote:
Winicott1001 wrote:

The white dragon is a tough one to slay...I'm down to an 8-ball every other week now, so at least there's progress...

Glad to see you are making progress.. cheers

Yea I have a CPAP machine, if I didn't have it my g/f would probably kill me in my sleep. I sleep so much better with it to, unless it is really dry in the house then I have a harder time sleeping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm

You can try adding a humidifier to the room or a direct humidifier into the CPAP. I have had a few patients that have had good results from that. Cocaine and meth are bad MMMMKAY! They really raise the BP. I recommend a good downer be taken to prevent you from stroking out. Very Happy I too have just started running again in an effort to keep the weight down and get back into shape. If I ran into myself from 10 years ago (when I was hard charging Airborne) the younger me would kick my ass just for being a lazy SOB. Unlike Wini, I hate running and never experience that "good" feeling aftewords or the runner's high. It just plain ass sucks to run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 pm

I have tried the built in humidifier that didnt help me any I just had to get use to the mask for about 1 to 1.5 week. A few hours a night, watched tv in the bedroom with it on to get use to it. Some mornings I still wake up with the Cpap running the mask on the floor straps still on it, or mask on and hose wrapped around neck and machine hanging.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I got similar type of news not to long ago, and I told my doctor that I'd change my eating habits and that I would start to workout. I had a knee injury about a year and a half ago which prevented me from working out for sometime. I started working out almost every day and began cutting out bread, soda, and fatty foods. Cutting out beer was the hardest thing to give up, but I guess I had to give my liver a break.

I started to workout and the workout routine that I did was P90x and after I was done with that I just did my own thing. Although I did not follow the program step by step, it really help me establish a foundation for what I needed to do. In two months I noticed that I lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol, and my resting heart rate went down. Not to mention I lost about 35 pounds in three months.

To hell with taking drugs. In my opinion drugs are just a temporary solution.

I think that you should try changing your habits first see what happens and if that doesn't work try something else.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I don't really have any weight to lose...I'm only 200 pounds at 6'4". Not everyone in Philly eats cheesesteaks daily! Very Happy

I've been doing a lot of research on the sleep apnea and I believe it is the cause of my elevated HDL/BP. I've scheduled a tonsillectomy and just got fitted for a dental device to reposition my jaw during sleep.

Hopefully these steps will take care of this malarkey!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 pm

I hope the tonsillectomy and sleep changes help you out...sleep patterns have a huge effect on health in general that I think a lot of people overlook.

If those things don't help you may just want to give up COD...playing this game induces large fits of rage and higher BP...just ask elpresador Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Which dental device did your dentist recommend?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Tap3.

And fuck running...the only thing I feel after running is sore knees. I do the girly elliptical while catching up on DVR episodes of Hoarding. I'm addicted to that show. I want to smack those enablers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?   High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High Cholesterol/High BP- any tips?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next