Over 30 Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over 30 Clan

Call of Duty Clan Page

Back to Main Website  HomeHome  First REGISTER HERE  Then APPLY HERE  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Blogs  Videos  Log inLog in  Photos  Rules  

Over 30 Clan has moved. New site same domain. Visit www.over30clan.com to Register and Apply. See You there!!! Thanks The1UrLookin4

Google Search
Custom Search
Black Ops (#5)
Modern Warfare 3 (#2)
Black Ops 2 (#9)
PS3 Brothers Across the Pond
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Ps4 to xbox1 convert
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 am by makersmark123

» Introducing myself to the over30clan
Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 9:05 pm by Guest

» New jack here from upstate NY
Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 pm by Guest

» These forums are read only!!
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm by The1UrLookin4

» New Site is Live
Router advice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm by DjaxDjax6

» A Shushman in Need...
Router advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm by gpfreak

» Netherlands
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm by Vidzjunkie

» Hello again
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am by Gunny0

» 'ello 'ello!
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am by Gunny0

» PS4 App: Wakoz_AK (needs to register)
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am by Gunny0

» Ps3 App: Decaman (approved welcome back)
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am by Gunny0

»  K.E.M problems
Router advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm by MBZA

» I'd like to plan in a clan.
Router advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm by Kenjamin77

» The new face of the Over30Clan
Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 pm by douwant2

» Anyone still playing BO2?
Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm by brninitdwn

Ads
Google Ads

Router advice

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 12:43 pm

I currently am running a Linksys Wireless G2.4Ghz model WRT54G. Don't know about the firmware. Is this a good router for gaming? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? I also haven't tried hard wiring my ps3 to the router. Should I try this first? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Hard wiring may help. I have tried both methods, no difference. You can also try connecting the PS3 directly to your modem to see if the router is what is causing the apparent issues. Don't bother spending money to get a better connection, you will only be lag-comped more.

The only way to beat the system is to trick the game into thinking your connection sucks when it doesn't, but that is cheating.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm

The WRT54G is a good all-around router, although a bit outdated now. Hardwiring your PS3 is recommended, as opposed to using the wireless connection, as wired right now always gives better speeds. You should have an option in your config to update the firmware - you'll want to do that as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Did some research and I am thinking of replacing it with a D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router model DIR 655
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 pm

I upgraded to a netgear n600 wndr3400 in blops and it made a big difference.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 am

mjc215 wrote:
Did some research and I am thinking of replacing it with a D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router model DIR 655

Haha looks exactly like mine except mines an Xtreme N Wireless N Gigabit Router Model DIR 825. You're gonna love it man. The router you're currently using is kinda old and really not gonna do much for gaming.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:15 pm

Vegas, what are your settings for the router and PS3? Can't get connected to internet with the DMZ option. Keeps telling me there is a DNS error. It only works under automatic settings and gives a me strict NAT type now. Need help on setting this thing up
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:50 pm

SpiderPlant007 wrote:
I upgraded to a netgear n600 wndr3400 in blops and it made a big difference.

I bought the wndr3700 and it made a huge difference for me too. My PS3 is not hard wired. I am even thinking of getting the wndr3800 as I hear that is the best router out there right now.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

got it connected but cant get rid of this strict nat!!
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 am

If you're running windows, Run>cmd, type:

ipconfig /all

Write down the IP addresses that come up, particularly

Default Gateway
Subnet Mask (should probably be 255.255.255.0)
DNS Server(s)

Get into your router settings (check your ISP/manufacturer, it's usually by entering the router's IP address into your browser and entering the username & password, which is usually some kind of default unless you change it).

Find the DMZ settings, and set the DMZ to one specific IP address. The DMZ should not have any port forwarding rules on it by default, if it does, remove them.

For mine, if the IP address/DNS were like 192.168.1.1 for the router, I set the DMZ to be 192.168.1.145, because I doubt I'll ever have 144 devices simultaneously connected to my router.

Go into PS3 settings, Custom, enter the IP Addresses from above (IP address being the DMZ you assigned in your router settings), Subnet Mask, DNS server(s) and then run the connection test. You should be off Strict NAT.

Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:40 am

justyourhero wrote:
If you're running windows, Run>cmd, type:

ipconfig /all

Write down the IP addresses that come up, particularly

Default Gateway
Subnet Mask (should probably be 255.255.255.0)
DNS Server(s)

Get into your router settings (check your ISP/manufacturer, it's usually by entering the router's IP address into your browser and entering the username & password, which is usually some kind of default unless you change it).

Find the DMZ settings, and set the DMZ to one specific IP address. The DMZ should not have any port forwarding rules on it by default, if it does, remove them.

For mine, if the IP address/DNS were like 192.168.1.1 for the router, I set the DMZ to be 192.168.1.145, because I doubt I'll ever have 144 devices simultaneously connected to my router.

Go into PS3 settings, Custom, enter the IP Addresses from above (IP address being the DMZ you assigned in your router settings), Subnet Mask, DNS server(s) and then run the connection test. You should be off Strict NAT.

I did all that and it still came up strict...i'll have to try again tomorrow because i already hooked up my old router
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 am

I recently bought a linksys E4200 and see some improvement over my last router.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:33 pm

I have the Linksys E4200 router as well, and I love it. Low profile and great connectivity. It gets a little finicky with cable modems, but if you make sure the correct MAC address is entered it should be fine.
Back to top Go down
miggilly

miggilly

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 5

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 3:20 pm

I have the DIR-655 N too. I use a wireless n bridge. This sits by my tv then a wire to the PS3. Ps3 only works with g signal. If you want to utilize the n signal...you need a bridge. N is much more stable and faster than a g. Plus you need make your ps3 priorty so it doesn't lose speed when someone else is sucking your bandwidth.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 pm

miggilly wrote:
I have the DIR-655 N too. I use a wireless n bridge. This sits by my tv then a wire to the PS3. Ps3 only works with g signal. If you want to utilize the n signal...you need a bridge. N is much more stable and faster than a g. Plus you need make your ps3 priorty so it doesn't lose speed when someone else is sucking your bandwidth.

Don't get the whole bridge thing. Can you explain? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
miggilly

miggilly

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 5

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:07 pm

The bridge is a separate from your router. It accepts the wireless n signal. Your ps3 then thinks its a wired signal because you wire the ps3 to the bridge. The bridge just allows you to use the N signal. Otherwise your router will just use the g signal to connect your Ps3. All n routers are backwards compatible. Hope that helps. If not let me know....
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Returned the Dlink and bought the net gear n600 wndr3700. So far, so good. Didn't even need to DMZ the PS3 and have an open NAT. Connect to online services really quick too. Almost instantly.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Reach-a-Rounds Received : 21

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 pm

bet it was expensive...sad thing is your running on the same speed as your old router. unless you are running high end fiber cables (OC3 or such that are over 100mb) I will tell you this much, you do get what you pay for when you are buying an expensive router though
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 pm

It works but so far it has shut off (no power)twice. After a few minutes I'm able to power it back up. Don't know what that's all about
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 am

sounds like overheating. set it on a flat surface with good ventilation. see if that helps it.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 am

I have it standing up on its holder so it should be fine. It happened a 3rd time. Then wouldn't power back up at all. Called the foreign support guy and they deemed it defective after numerous attempts at diagnosing the problem. As I was about to pack it up to take back for a new one, I realized that my stanley spotlight power supply fit. Tried that and it powered up. If it powers off again, I'm exchanging it!
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:47 am

The cable modem my ISP gave is a scientific atlanta 2203C. Dunno if that could be messing with it?
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 am

lol that is funny. its not often an AC adapter goes out lol.
Back to top Go down

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:52 am

Well it did the same thing again with that adapter. Plugged the one that came with back and only lasted like 10 minutes again. Going to exchange it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
pariah_81

pariah_81

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 4:10 am

sorry man that sucks. maybe they will update your modem to a more recent one. I know I want to buy my own, the modems and DVRs are what kill my cable bill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Router advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Router advice   Router advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Router advice
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next